Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Tons of carbon and engine sludge

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JDM for Lyfe is an unknown quantity at this point
Tons of carbon and engine sludge

pulled off the valve cover on my 98 and everything was black. what is the best way to clean all of the sludge off?
Old 12-13-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tons of carbon and engine sludge

Black color only, or covered in a thick layer of tar?
Old 12-14-2012
Registered!!

black mostly. not really sludging dont know why i said that. tons of carbon build up. heard about seafoam and i may try that.
Old 12-14-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Got pics of what you are talking about?
I'm trying to picture how there could be a bunch of carbon buildup but not sludge. And where each one is.
Old 12-16-2012
Registered!!

here it is
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20121216_120644.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	84429  
Old 12-16-2012

Doesn't look horrible, but does look blurry.
I can't tell that there is any thick tar-like buildup.
By "carbon" do you mean the cake crumb-like layer sitting on top of the flat surfaces?
I do see this sort of thing on engines, usually with no complaints.

Looks like a lifetime of lower quality oil and maybe some extended life oil changes. That's just a guess though.

Example: 10w30 is some of the cheapest oil on the market.....Cheap to make (lower quality base stocks), and generates the most profit so it is the most heavily pushed and advertised. Fast Oil Change places use a lot of it. So do many ordinary shops. (No matter what your window sticker says, you don't really know what is in there.)

Back to the picture...
I probably wouldn't touch it unless the head has to come off. (Hot tank the head if it ever has to come off.)
I'd worry about disturbing anything and having it end up in the oil pan clogging the oil sump screen, causing $evere problem$ to the bottom end.

Switch to a 5w20 GF-5 oil and keep driving?
A better quality oil will probably slowly work on cleaning up the mess without resorting to actual physical labor.
Old 12-16-2012
Registered!!

okay better, probably synthetic oil, got it. thanks