Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Ignition Timing procedure?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ironliftr3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Ignition Timing procedure?

So, I replaced my distributor due to no spark. Do I need to adjust my ignition timing? I did turn the engine over with the distributor removed, placed the upper timing belt pullet at TDC, and made sure the distributor rotor was at plug 1 when reinstalling. But I understand the distributor needs to be ‘fine’ adjusted to get the timing right.

I’ve never adjusted the timing before or used a timing light. Does anyone know of a write up available?
Old 12-10-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ignition Timing procedure?

0.16 seconds with google.
Old 12-10-2012
Registered!!

Thanks Ezone! I also found this.

So, from what I'm seeing, nothing needs to be 'exposed', I don't need to take the timing belt covers off to access the mark on a 98 Civic? Seems simple enough.
Old 12-10-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Right. All you need to find is the correct notches in the crank pulley and the pointer on the timing cover. (Assuming yours isn't so old that it would have marks on the flywheel).

Tip-Trick: Find the notches on the pulley and use bright paint or crayon to mark (highlight) them. Makes them a whole lot easier to see when using the timing light.

Tip-Trick: Use the timing light inside a garage or at dusk. Bright surrounding light makes the timing flash almost impossible to see.
Old 12-10-2012
Registered!!

Going to pick up a light on my way way home tonight and give it a go. Thanks!