Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

99 Civic wont start

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 Civic Ex is an unknown quantity at this point
99 Civic wont start

Ok, I need y'all's help... My 99 Civic Ex coupe won't start up anymore... When I turn the key to try to start it, it makes the noise like its about to start up but it never does.. It has a good battery so I know that's not the problem.. Here's more info on what's going on.. Before, sometimes it would cut off when I come to a stop or when I'm driving but now it won't start.. With the hood open, when I try to start it up it makes the noise and you see parts under the hood moving but still won't start up.. So what do y'all think it is ? I think it's either the starter gone bad or fuel isn't making its way to the engine to start it up
Old 11-24-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 99 Civic wont start

You need to specify.

-Does it crank, and not start.
or
-Does it not crank, and not start.

I dont know what you mean making a noise like its about to start, you mean a clicking noise or a cranking noise (Engine turning over?)
Old 11-26-2012
6th Gen Honda-Tech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FrankHondatech is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 99 Civic wont start

If you mean the Starter click but nothing else happen. Then I would check the Battery voltage.. Even if its a good battery you never know if the voltage dropped on it. This would be the 1 thing I would do.If you have 11.8+ It should start if not Charge it.If full charge and does not crank. Then I would check for a dead starter or Engine Ground.

If it it over 11.8 and still not start but crank check the following.

Next Do you have spark?
-With someone cranking the engine for you.

Remove 1 spark plug cable from the spark plug, Take if close to the valve cover so the spark can jump on it. If you don't see a spark or hear a spark there is no fire. If there is fire stop immediatly, that mean this system is working correctly.

Do you have Gaz? Read the Gaz gauge. make sure its not on redline.

- Now listen carefuly for a Pump sound and put the key to ON.
The pump sound should come from theback of the vehicul if you are not sure it work ask someone to put the key to the ON position while you are listening to the back of the vehicul close to the driver side back wheel.