Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

98 Civic EX Knock Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JDM for Lyfe is an unknown quantity at this point
98 Civic EX Knock Sensor

brought my car to advanced auto parts and they told me the knock sensor was bad. they didnt say the code just that the sensor was bad. would that explain the hard starting, lack of power, bad fuel economy? if so how do i go about replacing it. thanks
Old 11-21-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 98 Civic EX Knock Sensor

Search for P0325 and search for knock sensor.

I'm sure a bad one can retard ignition timing far enough to cause running problems.

Service manual says the intake manifold has to come off. IDK if there is a shortcut or not.
Old 11-26-2012
Registered!!

98Honda4banger is an unknown quantity at this point

I recently swapped a d16y8 into my dx, i forgot to plug the knock sensor in and realized it via the engine light and running codes. The car ran perfectly fine, started and everything, the thing it affects if even directly i don't know for sure is vtec monitoring.
Old 11-26-2012
Registered!!

98Honda4banger is an unknown quantity at this point

You also could access it from underneath, jack the front end of the car up and you should be able to see it right under the intake manifold. It's a little difficult to get your hands in there but it is possible, if you take the intake manifold off, its extremely easy but it depends on what you want to tinker with.
Old 11-26-2012
6th Gen Honda-Tech

FrankHondatech is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JDM for Lyfe
brought my car to advanced auto parts and they told me the knock sensor was bad. they didnt say the code just that the sensor was bad. would that explain the hard starting, lack of power, bad fuel economy? if so how do i go about replacing it. thanks
Compression Check
Valve Lash Adjustement

A bad compression can make the engine take longer to start and cause bad fuel economy and lack of power. Same goes for the Valve Lash

I just did yesterday a Valve adjustement on a civic 97 Ex, lack of power really bad fuel economy ( around 300km per tank ) Checked with Xgauge Scan (Realm time fuel monitoring.) He had an average of 17L/100km now after the adjustement he has average of 8L/100km.

His civic has 213000Km now the engine run perfectly and we can no longer listen to the Valve clapping when engine is cold
Old 11-30-2012
Registered!!

JDM for Lyfe is an unknown quantity at this point

Going to buy the knock sensor tomorrow and replace it. Hopefully it fixes the problem. All the symptoms are there. I'll let you guys know what happens.
Old 01-24-2018
Registered!!

jennymalone36 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
Search for P0325 and search for knock sensor.

I'm sure a bad one can retard ignition timing far enough to cause running problems.

Service manual says the intake manifold has to come off. IDK if there is a shortcut or not.
. What. About a 1997 does the manifold have come off too?
Old 01-24-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jennymalone36
. What. About a 1997 does the manifold have come off too?
6th gen ran from 1996 to 2000, they are all similar.

I personally haven't had to replace one in those years so I really can't say.....you'll have to find it and figure out if you can sneak it out of there or not.
Old 09-09-2021
Registered!!

Mannyvtec805 is an unknown quantity at this point

My 98 civic runs good except it has been shutting off randomly while driving (maybe like once or twice a month after a few miles) and check engine light would turn on, so i would turn on hazard lights, pull over, usually i would wait about 5 minutes and car would start back up with no problem and no check engine light. I unplugged my spark plug wires from engine and connected them back in thinking that might of been the problem. I thought that fixed the problem cause for a couple months it didnt shut off on me. The other day, the car shut off again and check engine light turned on. I Waited about 5 or 6 minutes and car turned on and i drove about 15 miles and made it home with nothing wrong and no check engine light. I bought a scanner just incase car turned off again. Took it for a test drive and 9 miles into drive the check engine light turned on but car did not shut off. I turned on hazard lights pulled over, and checked car with the car scanner. It showed me a bad knock sensor code (p0325) turned around and drove home with no issues but check engine light stayed on this time and the check engine light has not turned off. Could the bad knock sensor have been the problem to cause my car to shut off or would it have anything with car turning off?