Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

problems with my free civic, need help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fearfact is an unknown quantity at this point
problems with my free civic, need help!

hello everyone. i need some direction on a new to me free civic. basic history from the previous owner is about 8-10 months ago it wasn't running right ( he only randomly ran it around the block once every month or so back then as it was a 3rd car) so he parked it and ignored it and it hasnt started since. a couple weeks ago when he gave it to me. he cant really provide me with much info to know what exactly it was/wasn't doing because he is-well- an idiot apparently.
with a full charge on the battery the electrical kicks on and when you turn the key the starter spins but it seems like that's it, nothing from the engine at all. does get spark, spray starting fluid and get nothing. like i said it sounds like only the starter is turning.
i'm not a honda guy at all and have no clue where to really start so any input or advice is greatly appreciated.
thanks,
matt
Old 11-03-2012
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: problems with my free civic, need help!

Originally Posted by fearfact
he is-well- an idiot apparently.
lol, quit complaining you've got a free car.

spark + compression + fuel = ignition.

you've established that you have spark and fuel .... now check compression.
Old 11-04-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fearfact is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: problems with my free civic, need help!

It wasn't intended as a complaint, more of an observation about this whole scenario. Having a perfectly good car sit as much as he did, then having this problem and saying screw it and let it sit more. I offered to help him sell/part it out and he said he didn't want to bother and was going to pay to have it taken away. Didn't even want to look at donating it.. Hence my idiot comment, he is one of the nicest guys you'd ever meet-just thick headed!