Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Oil Change?????

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
americanlt is an unknown quantity at this point
Oil Change?????

I have a 99 Civic LX and will be changing the oil for the first time. What is the best tool to remove & tighten the oil drain plug? Do I really need a torque wrench? What oil filter should I use? I was thinking of a Purolater Classic.
Thanks
Old 11-03-2012
Registered!!

Alex_fl05 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Oil Change?????

You're seriously gonna ask that?? Usually mechanic gloves will get that bolt out lolz .

Forum rule #1: search before you ask

Did you search for the answers? Read the DIY for changing oil.
Mobil 1, amsoil, pure 1 are really good oil brands. Found that on the first time searching.
Old 11-04-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

purolator pureone is good filter. use a torque wrench if youve never tightened bolts before. otherwise a socket wrench is enough. tighten it hard but not too hard (30 ft/lbs), and ONLY when the engine is cold. get one of those "claw" oil filter removal pliars with teeth, because i have a feeling youre gonna need it. fill the new one with a lil bit of oil and put some on the rubber ring before putting it on, and tighten it hard hand tight. make sure to use a new sealing washer for the drain bolt.
Old 11-04-2012
Registered!!

BNC8108 is an unknown quantity at this point

i am a big fan of fran tough guard oil filters with castrol gtx high mileage, but on the same note my car is a 92 so its little bit older than yours. but i recommend if you have over 100k on it then go with the fran tough guard and the castrol gtx high mileage