Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

"Double engagement on felt going into drive"

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vagalati is an unknown quantity at this point
"Double engagement on felt going into drive"

Anyone knows what this is? It was written after an inspection by a mechanic. Weirdly the guy didn't verbally mention anything like this when we were talking over the phone.
Old 10-30-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: "Double engagement on felt going into drive"

I know what it is (assuming the trans has no problems).....But the important question is: Do YOU feel anything unusual?

Many mechanics that aren't familiar with Hondas might call it unusual, so do many drivers that aren't used to it.

The feeling is....when you slap the lever into D, the trans will engage 2nd gear, then engage 1st gear a half second later. This is done to reduce the shock of the trans initial engagement, so the car doesn't lurch forward, and is normal for the majority of their cars.
When I first started with this Honda dealer, I noticed it on most of the cars...Now, 9 years later, I don't even think about it at all.

HTH
Old 10-30-2012
Registered!!

Aha I had never paid attention to that! The transmission changes gears smoothly while driving.
Only sometimes if I accelerate very slowly and don't stress the gas pedal I have noticed that: before engaging the next gear the rpm raises (e.g. from 2600 to 2700) briefly... kinda like pressing the clutch while releasing the accelerator with a small delay in a manual transmission. I have to focus on the RPM to feel it, otherwise it goes unnoticeable. Is that normal for a honda auto transmission too?
Old 10-30-2012
Registered!!

Btw, the inspection was for a totally different thing (engine light on indicating cyl #1 misfire).
Old 10-30-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vagalati
before engaging the next gear the rpm raises (e.g. from 2600 to 2700) briefly... kinda like pressing the clutch while releasing the accelerator with a small delay in a manual transmission. I have to focus on the RPM to feel it, otherwise it goes unnoticeable. Is that normal for a honda auto transmission too?
No. Doesn't sound normal.
Old 11-02-2012
Registered!!

TacoPronto is an unknown quantity at this point

when the RPMs spike, does the car pull forward or does the acceleration remain constant, it may just be the overdrive kicking on and off.
Old 11-02-2012
Registered!!

I would say acceleration is constant.
Old 11-05-2012
Registered!!

You may have some slippage in your transmission, when was the last time you dropped the transmission filter and switched the fluid?
Old 11-05-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by TacoPronto
You may have some slippage in your transmission, when was the last time you dropped the transmission filter and switched the fluid?
Hmmm... I've owned the car for 5 years and I haven't changed the transmission filter, but is there a replaceable filter on auto transmissions?
I drained the fluid through the drain bolt and replaced the drained fluid in July. I used the honda manual for the procedure which didn't mention anything about transmission fluid filter.
Old 11-05-2012

Originally Posted by vagalati
I drained the fluid through the drain bolt and replaced the drained fluid in July. I used the honda manual for the procedure which didn't mention anything about transmission fluid filter.
That's all we do at the shop here.
6th gen should only have an internal filter (unless the trans has been replaced already with a quality reman unit, then it may have a small screen filter installed in one of the cooler lines).
Old 11-12-2012
Registered!!

I'm sorry, mixing my metaphors, need to get more sleep... i just ment the fluid...
Old 11-12-2012
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ezone
Many mechanics that aren't familiar with Hondas might call it unusual, so do many drivers that aren't used to it.

The feeling is....when you slap the lever into D, the trans will engage 2nd gear, then engage 1st gear a half second later. This is done to reduce the shock of the trans initial engagement, so the car doesn't lurch forward, and is normal for the majority of their cars.
When I first started with this Honda dealer, I noticed it on most of the cars...Now, 9 years later, I don't even think about it at all.

HTH

I noticed the delay years ago with my 05 (shifting into D and trying to leave too quickly) my 2010 is the same. I know to put it into D and wait a short bit before trying to accelerate.

Thanks for explanation about what is actually occuring.

It,s like the jerking on acceleration after decelerating...don't do it. Ease back in slow. A few times getting rattled and you learn pretty quick.