Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

98 Civic EX Gas smell

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
velozp is an unknown quantity at this point
98 Civic EX Gas smell

Hello I have a 98 Civic EX coupe. I fill the tank every week and go on my commute 80 miles a day. When the pump handle stops, I stop and I have had no issues till last week . I filled the tank as I usually do and noticed a smell of gas when I got home. It seems some gas is leaking slowly from the top of the tank ? and is running down the back of it ( trunk side) what I can see. Once the tank gets to half their seems to be no leaking but can smell gas slightly at this point. Before I get it on the lift, any common issues to look for with leaking tanks, fuel lines, ETC?? I did search the site and only come up with a possible filler tank pipe rusting. Any assitance is appreciated.
Old 10-29-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 98 Civic EX Gas smell

Where are you at? Rust belt?
Rust.
Old 10-30-2012
Registered!!

yes in massachusetts, any idea what it could be? a rotted tank scares me because the fuel pump is in the tank too right? could be some serious $$
Old 10-30-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

That wouldn't mean the pump is bad. You can replace the tank and reuse the old pump if that's what it comes down to. But is that what it needs?

You need to get under the car and see what exactly is leaking. You may even need to let the straps down to lower the tank in order to see more.
Could be tubes or pipes, could be evap hoses, could be the tank itself.

some gas is leaking slowly from the top of the tank ? and is running down the back of it.....

Once the tank gets to half their seems to be no leaking but can smell gas
This makes me think it will be the tank itself, rusted out at the seam between the upper and lower halves.
Old 11-04-2012
Registered!!

thanks ezone Im bringing it to my buddies this week and puting it in the air. If its the tank, I figure replace the pump at the same time but I will let you know what I find.
Old 11-04-2012

Originally Posted by velozp
I figure replace the pump at the same time but I will let you know what I find.
I can count on one hand all of the truly bad fuel pumps I have replaced in Hondas in the last 9 years, and have fingers left over.

I expect Hondas fuel pumps to last the entire lifetime of the car here.
These aren't GM's.
But if you stuff a cheapo parts store pump in it, you just turned it into a GM.

Fresh seals/gaskets, yes.
Pump? Probably not. Besides, the pump is easy to change if it ever goes bad, it's right under the back seat.

Last edited by ezone; 11-04-2012 at 09:39 AM.