Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Urgent CV Shaft Match Problem!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012
DIY Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blue_SI_Boy is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Urgent CV Shaft Match Problem!

I am in desperate need of some help. My 98 Civic has a B16A2 engine from a 99 Civic SI and the Y80 Hydraulic transmission from a 95 Integra GSR (no LSD). The driver side CV shaft is in bad shape and needs to be replaced, but I have no idea which shaft to order. Here is my problem:

The shaft that is on there right now has a mount right in the middle of the shaft that mounts to the block and that mounted section is another joint itself. All three joints have boots on them.

I ordered a cv shaft to a 99 Civic and it does not have the middle joint. The inner boot area is too big around to fit up against the block. It seems as if it is too fat.

I cannot find the triple jointed cv shaft anywhere and have no clue as to what vehicle it goes to.

PLEASE HELP
I don't know how much time I have left until it gives way.
Old 10-22-2012
DIY Enthusiast

Re: Urgent CV Shaft Match Problem!

Herre is a picture of what the middle joint looks like. You can see the black mount where it bolts into the block on the side of the picture. This is the only info I have been able to find. The car this was from was said to be a 99 Integra type R, but after searching for the cv shafts to that car, I have found nothing even close.

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1954131
Old 10-22-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

There is no "triple jointed" shaft.

The halfshaft that is bolted to the engine block should stay there. The axle shaft with 2 CV joints should knock off of that stationary halfshaft with a little effort.

The half shaft would be #21, you can see the bracket that attaches to the engine block in the box.
The axle with its 2 CV joints is separate. It WILL come off of that shaft.

HTH
Old 10-22-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2139211

Name:  half_shaft.jpg
Views: 3767
Size:  49.8 KB
Old 10-29-2012
DIY Enthusiast

Thanks for getting back to me. I had actually figured it out and ordered the part an hour after I made this post. I do appreciate your help though