Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Heating up when going up hills

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
arizaga8799 will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Heating up when going up hills

i recently have posted threads about overheating. I have replaced on thin after another. still I have not nailed the real problem! can the water pump still be an issue althought it seems to be getting good coolant flow when I check the radiator? i seem to be also smelling coolant burning from time to time also. my is still good so I'm ruleing out head gasket but could I also be wrong about that? I have replaced thermostat, ect sensor, and fan switch. anything else possible on these civics?
Old 10-15-2012
Registered!!

rekomstop209 will become famous soon enough
Re: Heating up when going up hills

Sounds to me like your hg is blown or atleast leaking. Drain your oil and inspect it, is it milky? Open your radiator and look at the coolant, does it look oily? These are for sure signs of a blown hg.

If your oil and coolant looks good, go and get a smog sniff on your radiator to see if the hg is leaking exhaust fumes into the coolant passage, they cost like $20. If they detect ANY hydrocarbons, your hg is leaking and will continue to get worse and worse causing overheating not only when going uphill, but all the time.

I recently had similar problems, I replaced all the parts you did plus the radiator, and in the end, a smog sniff confirmed a leaking hg was causing my overheating.

Oh and if your water pump was failing, you'd most likely be overheating all the time, but do you know how many miles are on it? Its best to change things like that BEFORE they break.

Last edited by rekomstop209; 10-15-2012 at 11:23 PM.
Old 10-17-2012
Registered!!

arizaga8799 will become famous soon enough

I think the same thing too many things now are pointing towards the hg! I'll check out getting that test done also I never heard of that it's good to know I appreciate it!
Old 10-17-2012
Registered!!

rekomstop209 will become famous soon enough

No problem, a radiator sniff is far cheaper and more accurate than a chemical test.

Also, if you notice that your radiator is not staying 100% full, but your overflow resevoir is, your hg is definitely leaking. Its actually a very common problem with the D series engines.

If you do end up having to replace the hg, make sure you have the head machined for flatness and pressure checked to make sure you have no leaking valves. Also, its important to determine what caused the hg to breach in the first place so that it doesn't happen again.