Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

smoking belts... eek!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wilsonaaronm08 is an unknown quantity at this point
smoking belts... eek!

Hi guys!

Lots of informative posts on this site regarding the issue I'm having but none quite as direct as I was hoping for. Let me preface by saying that I don't really work on cars, I'm a high end bicycle mechanic.

Towards the end of this summer I was running low on cash so I parked my car for 2 months and have been biking everywhere (a passion of mine). Unfortunately, my 1997 Honda Civic EX with 295,000 miles didn't appreciate it.

I've been working on starting it the last few days. I replaced the spark plugs, added some gas (just in case), and even had someone help jump the car (thought the battery might not have had enough power). Well, I just got the car finally started (yay!) and the belt started squealing like mad and smoke starting coming out in that area. It smelled like burned rubber. I quickly turned it off to be safe.

I was using belt dressing this summer, as I would have the occasional squeak, but nothing at all like this. Is it too loose or too tight, or is it something a lot worse?

Thanks for everything!
Old 10-06-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: smoking belts... eek!

Too loose makes them squeal.
OR a pulley locked up.
If it used to happen only after a startup, it was probably the alternator belt.
Smoke usually means that belt will be ruined in short order.

You need to investigate all the accessories (AC/PS/Alt) and their pulleys to figure this out.
Inspect the belt(s). Tighten or replace as necessary.
If it is not the belts, then the harmonic balancer pulley could be separated and slipping.

If you replace belts, get all of the pulleys CLEAN before installing new belts. Brake cleaner and a stiff brush might get the junk off and out of all the grooves in the pulleys.

Dressing is for salads, not belts. I don't give a rats *** that parts stores sell it.
Belts need to stay clean and dry in order to have a long, trouble free life. And use quality belts.

HTH
Old 10-06-2012
Registered!!

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll be buying a Haynes Manual shortly. I know some belts on 6th generation civics are difficult to replace, are the accessory belts like that?
Old 10-06-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wilsonaaronm08
I know some belts on 6th generation civics are difficult to replace, are the accessory belts like that?
Not sure what you are asking.
I have no problem replacing them, but I have all the cool equipment to do the work FAST. And I've done it a hundred times.

There are 3 accessory belts (if you have AC), call them whatever you like. Accessory, serpentine, drive, whatever...

Plus the timing belt. How old is that? Think carefully...
Old 10-06-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Not sure what you are asking.
I have no problem replacing them, but I have all the cool equipment to do the work FAST. And I've done it a hundred times.

There are 3 accessory belts (if you have AC), call them whatever you like. Accessory, serpentine, drive, whatever...

Plus the timing belt. How old is that? Think carefully...
I think the previous owner had the timing belt replaced once in the life of the car. Yeah, I have hand tools and driveway, and it's already started to get a bit chilly in Michigan already.

Obviously I know the timing belt is a lengthy and advanced process. I was wondering if the 3 accessory belts were difficult for someone to do who doesn't work on cars on a regular basis. Guitars, brass instruments, and high end bicycles I can fix. Cars... well it's getting there.
Old 10-06-2012

Well, if you have some mechanical inclination, it shouldn't be TOO bad.
A good selection of 10/12/14mm stuff and pliers and a prybar will probably get you started into the belts....

If you were totally inept with things mechanical, you may want to have a pro check it out.

It's all DIY for me, because I do it for a living.
I have a hard time evaluating someone elses abilities.

HTH?
Old 10-06-2012

Think long and hard about the timing belt.
If it cuts loose, it trashes the valves.
Not cheap at all.

Accessory belts would be included as part of that job (labor).
Old 10-06-2012
Registered!!

AngryHatchback is an unknown quantity at this point

I just did a belt change in the last week on my 99 civic and the second day of driving I lost the alternator belt. It started squeeling pretty bad but I got it home, luckily. Upon inspection it was ripped for about 8 or 9 cm on the engine side and it was VERY loose. I have a feeling the laxness allowed it to jump onto the pulley and that's how the rip formed.