Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Knocking

Old 10-04-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OLCUTTY is an unknown quantity at this point
Knocking

Im new to this site and I have searched for an answer all over the web. I bought a 2000 civic ex for $500 supposedly needing a headgasket. The motor really had spon a rod. That was fine all I wanted was the body. I bought a bottom end from a guy that had just rebuilt it. He guaranteed the rebuild had new parts and if there were any problems he would fix it. I had the motor put in and now its knocking. The guy is trying to say the timing was set wrong or the vavles weren't adjusted right so he can't cover the warranty. My question is if the timing is wrong will cause the rod bearings to go. It's a D16y8 block. Need help ASAP!!!

Last edited by OLCUTTY; 10-04-2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old 10-04-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Knocking

Originally Posted by OLCUTTY
My question is if the timing is wrong will cause the rod bearings to go. It's a D16y8 block. Need help ASAP!!!

No.
There would be other obvious issues. (Obvious to someone remotely observant.)
guy is trying to say the timing was set wrong or the vavles weren't adjusted right so he can't cover the warranty.
If someone wants to point fingers, that someone better have proof.
He ain't got poop to go on, and he's hoping you know even less than him.
Good luck getting a damn thing out of that person.

You need an engine.
Complete.
From a running car.
Or from a reputable supplier that will stand behind their sales............. On that point, many won't do much for warranty unless you are a professional. Some people can ruin an anvil with a feather. We can't tell if you are qualified-- from just a phone call.

Those engines should be cheap from a wrecking yard. $500 or less.
car-part.com

He guaranteed the rebuild had new parts
I'm sure it does.
That's funny as.....

If you installed your used head on a fresh block, now it's probably your fault.
Old 10-05-2012
Registered!!

Well I did have the old head put on but only after it was worked on by a machine shop.
Old 10-05-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Well I did have the old head put on but only after it was worked on by a machine shop.
Well, that's probably safer, but it depends on what the machine shop actually did to it.
Example: If they only planed it flat, then.....it probably wasn't taken completely apart and cleaned.

If you installed your used head on a fresh block, now it's probably your fault.
Here's why I said that:

See, when a lower end bearing lets go, it normally sends bearing material and crank material all throughout the entire lubrication system. That means metal will end up in the cam journals and the VTEC system (when equipped) and the rockertrain-rocker arms, shafts.... EVERYWHERE.
The metal debris can hide in the damndest of places.
If it isn't ALL cleaned out thoroughly, then it can be just a matter of time until it trashes something.

3M Scotchbrite Roloc gasket grinder discs can really trash a set of bearings in a hurry too. Those are a strict no-no when doing internal engine work.

So.....

Either the seller did a good job or he didn't.
Doesn't really matter.
YOU can't prove one way or the other, and it is trash now. Too late.

If he didn't do it right, then it is trashed and needs an engine.
If he did do the job right, it is still trashed and needs an engine.
Bottom line, based on what I have heard from you: You need an engine.

I HAVE A QUESTION: How long did the engine actually run before it started knocking?
Minutes? Months? What?
Old 10-07-2012
Registered!!

Well it had a kinda ticking sound on the first start up. After that it was driven around the corner at 20mph to put a fresh tank of gas in just to make sure it wasn't a spark knock. Never getting out of second gear and has been knocking ever sense. When I say around the corner I mean not even a quarter mile.
Old 10-07-2012

a kinda ticking sound on the first start up. ........
and has been knocking ever sense.
Problem, as I see it:
There's a huge difference between a upper end or valvetrain "tick" and a bottom end "knock".

I have no idea if you (or your engine seller) can differentiate between the sounds/two areas, and I can't hear it from here.
IOW, I can't tell from here exactly what noises you are dealing with.

Have the valves been adjusted?
Could you just be hearing normal injector ticks?
Does it really have a bottom end bearing noise problem?

Example: A loose camshaft pulley bolt can make rattling sounds like a Diesel.....til it gets really really quiet (bent valves).

Some other noise completely unrelated to internal engine? (Had an 04 manifold/cat with a horrible rattle one time, owner thought the engine was going to fall out on the road.)
Old 11-24-2012
Registered!!

The problem ended up being the oil pump was bad. Of course the guy that rebuilt the motor was a no show. So now im on the hunt for a engine cause im sure the one i have is done for.