Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Front left motor mount

Old 10-03-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AngryHatchback is an unknown quantity at this point
Front left motor mount

Hey guys... doing the first timing belt change on my 1999 Civic Hatchback (canadian model, 190,000 km) and I've run into something that doesn't look right. The front left (drivers side) motor mount was completely falling apart so I bought a new one from Parts Source ($115 ugh..) but when I put it on its evident the hole in the mount is way bigger than the bolt.

I always thought it should be snug, here's a pic to show what I mean,

Name:  mVzUx.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  458.5 KB

The mount isn't locked into place, obviously. Should there be a bushing or something inside of there ?
Old 10-03-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Front left motor mount

Did you check OEM prices? I see $65 American dollars MSRP for that in the catalog. I have no idea what the exchange rate is though.

Yes, there would have been a steel sleeve or bushing in the center (of an OEM mount). You should have had to remove the nut and washer to remove/install the mount. You may have needed to work to drive the sleeve off the stud if the mount was torn apart.

That "mount" isn't intended to support the weight of the engine, either, so it's not like it matters a whole lot.
Old 10-03-2012
Registered!!

Thanks for the reply. I just stuck it back on there tonight with the upper bolts and locked down the nut & washer. There's a shoulder on that bolt so they do bottom out before busting the plastic parts of the mount. Although to your comment about there being a sleeve around the stud... I never saw one, when taking it off or when I bought the new mount. I'm a little miffed about that..

It's been an ordeal.. and now I found out I the alternator is garbage so there's another thing.. luckily that'll be a piece of cake compared the rest of this job.
Old 10-03-2012
Registered!!

As an aside the alternator was a monster to remove... the bracket that holds it to the block was frozen stiff. I drowned it in penetrating fluid, hammered on it repeatadly and finally had to grind down a wrench so it was thin enough to get behind the bolt to turn it.

Tomorrow I'll be picking up a new alternator but that bracket... sigh, the long bolt is stiff and immovable. I tried getting it free with a hammer and metal rod but it wouldn't budge. I hope I don't have to buy a new one because things are like $75 here in Canada. Although it would probably be a lot easier..