Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

96 civic ex w/ idle and starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012
Member - 96 Civic Ex

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sobefreedom is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry 96 civic ex w/ idle and starting issues

So I have posted this before and have yet to have any help on it. My problem continues and I have replaced so much already. The issues are as follows.

My car starts normal in the morning when its cool or after it has been sitting for a long time, but may rev a little higher than normal (around 2K). I drive to work about 25 miles every morning so the car gets plenty warm. I shut it off and wait a few minutes and try and start it again and nothing. It cranks over and over but will not fire. If I pop the clutch it will hesitate, but start every time. However when doing this my RPMs will rocket up around 3K-3.5K and it sounds like I'm a totally noob and driving a manual when I come to stop lights. One time I did this and I could smell gas vapors strong out my exhaust and the car would bog heavily when driven. It has only done that once thoug and I have been fighting this annoying issue for sometime now. Occasionally if i let the car idle high and wait 10-15 minutes, it will gradually decrease but still bounces back and forth until I hear an aduible click faintly sometimes and the idle will drop right where it is supposed to be around 700-800. The car drives great in the mornings or after it has sat for a long time, but if I pop the clutch and it revs high its a nightmare to drive because the RPMs never decrease unless I am going 25 in 5th gear to force them lower. Even then the car sounds horrible like its choking and wants to die.

I have replaced the cap and rotor, ignition coil, spark plugs, timing belt and water pump, fuel filter, main relay, cleaned the IACV and throttle body, new throttle body gasket, and oil pressure switch. And I am probably forgetting others.

The only mods I have done are a short ram intake and a Magnaflow muffler, but I put 20K+ miles on those before I ran into these issues.

I am finally done with this car and going to take it to a dealership this weekend if I can't fix it this week.