Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

97 ex 5spd not running

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bert244 is an unknown quantity at this point
97 ex 5spd not running

I have a 1997 civic ex, 1.6l with 195K on it. The problem is intermittent, the car will usually start and run for a while, then will die and sometimes restart right away, and others it will not restart for 20+ minutes. Sometimes it will start and run for 3 days of driving to work/school and back without any issues. When the car dies it is an instant shutdown and seems (to me) to be electrical. An additional point is that the tachometer does not read correctly most of the time, sometimes shows idle at 5k and sometimes even 8k. I have a cheap MATCO scanner that doesn’t read any errors or problems when hooked up..

I started pursuing the problem by replacing the entire distributor, the problem continued. I next replaced the crank position sensor that is actually located on the crank, I believe this is actually called the crank fluctuator sensor? Regardless, the problem continued. I next bought a replacement ECU ( located behind the passenger seat kick plastic). Which still did not fix the issue. I believe from what I have found on these forums that I should look into having autozone get me a new distributor as quite often they are not “good” when sent…

Anything of help would be appreciated!
Old 09-18-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98_CivicDX is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 97 ex 5spd not running

Have you considered changing the fuel filter? It could be clogged and therefore restrictive.