Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

transmission break in?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dmac667 is an unknown quantity at this point
transmission break in?

Hey everyone, just got my transmission rebuilt..got it back a few days ago actually. I had a reputable shop do it (aamco) so i payed good money for good work and a good warranty. As I am driving I notice that is reving higher than it used to..like in third gear it would usually shift around 2500 rpms now its a little over 3000, on a flat road too..Is this normal as part of a break in period and will it normal out? Or does it sound like something else?
Old 09-09-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: transmission break in?

Originally Posted by Dmac667
Hey everyone, just got my transmission rebuilt..got it back a few days ago actually. I had a reputable shop do it (aamco) so i payed good money for good work and a good warranty. As I am driving I notice that is reving higher than it used to..like in third gear it would usually shift around 2500 rpms now its a little over 3000, on a flat road too..Is this normal as part of a break in period and will it normal out? Or does it sound like something else?
There is no "break in" on a trans.

Late shift is not normal once the engine is warmed up (and assuming the engine itself is operating properly).

Sounds like you need to return to that shop, apparently they aren't done working on it yet.

HTH
Old 09-09-2012
Registered!!

could it have something to do with my timing belt?
Old 09-09-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

could it have something to do with my timing belt?
Not unless it jumped time, and the engine should be lacking quite a bit of power if it did.

Why would you think timing belt?
Does the engine not run correctly?
Old 09-09-2012
Registered!!

Engine runs great..just something I read. The car did sit for a while before I had enough funds to get the trans rebuilt..but for some reason I thought it took time to adjust with a new transmission
Old 09-09-2012
Registered!!

could it be i need to adjust the throttle cable? about 5 months ago I did do some work on the throttle body..or the tps??

Last edited by Dmac667; 09-09-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old 09-09-2012

The car did sit for a while

I thought it took time to adjust with a new transmission
How long did it sit? A month? 3 years?

(You have this listed under 6th gen, but you didn't say what year the car is.)
These should shift correctly right out of the box, no break in or learning period or anything like that.

If it isn't shifting at the right time, then something is wrong.
But you need to be sure the shifts are really late or wrong:
Please note: Engine RPM vs. throttle position vs. load vs. road speed, all are variables and all contribute to the PCM deciding to make the next shift.

More examples:
Low engine power can make it shift late due to unusually large amount of throttle opening needed to keep it running.
Brakes dragging could be an example too, that could generate the same "late shift" complaint because you would have the throttle opened more than normal to keep your speed up.
Something misadjusted (or bad) inside the trans could exhibit the same late shift symptom, but the cause is now directly related to the trans.

HTH
Old 09-09-2012

could it be i need to adjust the throttle cable? about 5 months ago I did do some work on the throttle body
Did it all work correctly immediately following your "work" on it?

How many cables on it?
One cable that goes to the gas pedal?
Maybe one more cable for cruise control?
No cable that goes from the throttle body to the trans....Right?

I assume this late shift has only happened SINCE the car was at the trans shop. No, your work would not be related if this is the case.
Old 09-09-2012
Registered!!

yeah there wasn't a late shift after I work on the throttle body. It sat like 2 or 3 months, and its a 99 lx automatic..I'm pretty stumped now. I guess all I can do is call them
Old 09-09-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i would give it a month or two and you will be towing the car back in for repairs. nobody these days really knows how to work on transmissions anymore.
Old 09-09-2012

And they will come up with SOME shady reason to deny the warranty.
Old 09-10-2012
Registered!!

ha well for my own sake I hope both of you guys are wrong
Old 09-10-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

my favorite they seem to like is a blanket statement like "you abused it and we can't honor the warranty." then to humor you they will bring your car in the shop, go watch tv in the back for 30 mins, and bring you out a broken clutch plate from some other trans and say see this is what you did to it lol.

Originally Posted by ezone
And they will come up with SOME shady reason to deny the warranty.