Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

D16Y7, Replaced cylinder head, car sounds like a boat *UPDATED*

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SaladHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
D16Y7, Replaced cylinder head, car sounds like a boat *UPDATED*

97 Civic DX

I replaced my cylinder head myself after having 6 bent valves and when I went to start it for the first time after 3 months the engine acts really weird. The entire engine bounces around, the camshaft will turn 45 degrees then stop, and try to keep going but jerk, a lot of smoke is coming out of the exhaust and it sounds like a boat.

I also have brand new spark plugs and distributor cables, I know the timing is correct, but I can't tell is the engine is turning over and starting, or just trying to keep starting, with no luck. It may also be worth noting that the battery was dead, and when trying to start it it keeps killing the battery. When the gas is pushed it sounds kind of like an erching grinding sound. The check engine doesn't come on at all, and the oil light will flash for less then a quarter second once.

Any help at all would be appreciated. Thanks.

Oh, and I'm still somewhat of a noob, especially with terms.

UPDATE:
I made a silly mistake, I forgot to completely tighten the nuts for the intake manifold, I know right, how dumb of me, tightened and went to start it again, no start at all, but at least it doesn't sound like a boat anymore. Now I'm quite sure that the timing is off by just a degree or two, I can hear it nearly catching but just not quite making it. If you know what I mean. I'll update again tomorrow after I readjust the timing, I'm quite sure that's the problem.

Last edited by SaladHunter; 08-23-2012 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Update