Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

98 dx hesitation/gentle bucking, lights dim, mpg decline?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mbraga92 is an unknown quantity at this point
98 dx hesitation/gentle bucking, lights dim, mpg decline?

We had a really bad rainstorm and stupid me i drove in it. I went through a few puddles and my speedometer stopped working and it threw a code for the sensor and gear on the transmission for it i believe. But the issue im concerned about is that my car has been jerking and hestating over and over and each time it hesitates, the lights go dim and go back over and over. Also, im at almost half a tank and i only went 70 miles. Halfa tank usually gets me 170-190. When in gear it does it constantly, but when in neutral, it does it every 10 seconds or so and you see the lights become dim and hear the engine run low and then come back alive. Any thoughts on what this could be? Theres no cel for misfiring, only the speedometer??
Old 08-14-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
asianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the rough
Re: 98 dx hesitation/gentle bucking, lights dim, mpg decline?

somtimes you dont get a cel for misfiring when the plugs arnt fully working,
when my engine started to jerk somtimes i thought it was somthing else, and when i check the tip of the spark plugs wires where it connects to the distributor cap,
i found alot of corrosion build up. after i change the cap and spark plug wires my engine ran strong again, when urs hesitate you not getting the full spark so you gonna have unburn fuel, check your spark plug wires and plugs make sure theres no oil or any forms of debris on them, your speed sensor is located beneath the battery tray if you look straight down on the passenger side fire wall under the intake tube you see a plug that goes into the tranny, that should be the speed sensor check to see if water is in the pin connectors