Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

battery dies over night

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dracowing14 is an unknown quantity at this point
battery dies over night

well this is a weird one for me, for some reaosn the battery in my 99 civic se seems to drain overnight. so that it wont start in the morning. I've narowed it down to the radio being the cause of the problem. if i pull the fuse out for the main radio power the battery doesn't drain. has anyone else come across this problem. I've never heard of anything like this happening before. also before you ask the vehicle is bone stock there isn't a single aftermarket thing in it.
Old 08-07-2012
Registered!!

asianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the rough
Re: battery dies over night

first of all is the radio aftermarket if so make sure the yellow wire that is constant 12v wire is connected to the yellow wire at the harness of the radio and the red wire which is ignition switch wire is connected to the red at the harness, and if its oem then the radio is defected
Old 08-09-2012
^Warranty voider

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Running Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of light

this may be a stupid question but how old is the battery
Old 08-09-2012
Registered!!

dracowing14 is an unknown quantity at this point

the battery is only a year old it was changed recently after the problem started. and before you ask, yes this car has gone a year without a radio
Old 08-09-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

just remove the radio and be done with it lol. ive been without for years and dont miss it. keeps you more focused on the road

but as to your problem, you could just need a new radio. there is no physical reason why anything would drain power if the radio is turning off when you remove the key, except for the radio itself. in other words its not the wiring. with stock used radios being $20 on ebay, might be worth a try. or just go aftermarket for $100-200 like a nice alpine.
Old 08-09-2012
^Warranty voider

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Running Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of light

do you have an alarm system?
Old 08-12-2012
Registered!!

asianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the rough

somone who work with me i saw her drive with head phones on, and her car is as old as last decade. and she playing it from an ipod, aftermaket head unit is pretty much cheaper than an ipod but anyway. if its oem radio just replace it moist, age and dust has taking its place over the unit