Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

No idea what's wrong :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bloodwolvz is an unknown quantity at this point
No idea what's wrong :(

I have a 2000 civic EX coupe with stock spoiler, and cold air intake valve. The car looks fine, apart from superficial scartches that need to have the panels replaced. Lately though, the car's been changing from 1st to 2nd gear at around 4000rpm, 2500 if i just ease on the gas. The passenger side window also goes up and down slowly, and the driver's side lock won't lock when I hit the locking latch. The steering wheel makes an odd clicking sound when turning, but it does not happen every time I drive. The check engine light comes on and pulsates when playing music. I can plainly see it at night, but pretty sure it happens during the day as well. The car has around 88K miles on it, so I would like to fix everything now since I'll be having it for a few years. I'd like to swap out my stock parts for performance, and I am interested in turning it into a manual...or is that a bad idea even if it's under 100K miles? Any help is greatly appreciated!!
Old 08-06-2012
"Come to terms with your slow *** whip"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the rough
Re: No idea what's wrong :(

No idea on the transmission....just a guess but for the window you could check the tracks for debris or you may have a problem with your window regulator. The lock sounds like the actuator has gone bad...had the same problem on my 2001 civic. No clue about the steering wheel (is your blinker on when it makes the clicking sounds? lol) No clue about the CEL...never heard of that happening. And as for the manual swap, its more cost effective to just sell the car and buy a manual.
Old 08-06-2012
Registered!!

palsana is an unknown quantity at this point

i had clutch pressure readings from a transmission shop on my 03 civic ex & 1st & 2nd Gear looked ok however, the 3rd gear had 35-40psi pressure?they showed me the bolt and it smelled all burnt? what does it indicate?
I just recently had a fluid change on tranny & I was actually about to have my 2nd transmission fluid change done but i am skeptical now!!!! I have driven about 200mi since last fluid change. Should i go forward with 2nd tranny fluid change

Last edited by palsana; 08-06-2012 at 04:28 PM. Reason: add iinfo
Old 08-06-2012
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bloodwolvz
I have a 2000 civic EX coupe with stock spoiler, and cold air intake valve. The car looks fine, apart from superficial scartches that need to have the panels replaced. Lately though, the car's been changing from 1st to 2nd gear at around 4000rpm, 2500 if i just ease on the gas. The passenger side window also goes up and down slowly, and the driver's side lock won't lock when I hit the locking latch. The steering wheel makes an odd clicking sound when turning, but it does not happen every time I drive. The check engine light comes on and pulsates when playing music. I can plainly see it at night, but pretty sure it happens during the day as well. The car has around 88K miles on it, so I would like to fix everything now since I'll be having it for a few years. I'd like to swap out my stock parts for performance, and I am interested in turning it into a manual...or is that a bad idea even if it's under 100K miles? Any help is greatly appreciated!!
You have to pull the driver door handle then push the lock button in order for the driver door to lock (that's how my 3 Honda's have all worked). If the steering wheel is clicking then it might be a problem with the rack and pinion. I would also scan the car for codes since the CEL comes on. The car holds the gear longer when you accelerate faster. If it just started doing it then you might have a problem with one of the transmission sensors. I forget what the sensor is called but it is a range (rpm) selector sensor that can go bad. You can change it to a manual, there are people on here that have, but I would just buy a manual. Is it the original engine or has it been changed?

Edit: if the door still doesn't lock, then its probably the actuator like rjones said. A blinking CEL I am pretty sure means that you are not suppose to drive the car until its looked at. Ill have to look into that more.
Old 08-06-2012
Registered!!

asianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the rough

^^ could it be the shift solonoid if its an automatic transmission, and also for your window that roll up and down slowly use silicon lube it comes in a spray can, roll window down and spray it on each end and let it drip down, then roll up and down the window,
soon if you dont fix this issue its gonna cause the window to come off from the tracks,
if you u se the radio and it pulsate if the radio is aftermarket, check the city light wire make sure its not strip or hook up to the dash cause aftermarket head unit doesnt use it unless if you run a navigation system. my rack and pinion went on me but if yours click i say check the tie rod ends bushing those can go and cause it to jump out of place and can be felt on the steering wheel
Old 09-07-2012
Registered!!

Bloodwolvz is an unknown quantity at this point

It's the factory D16Y8 engine. THe only add on, as far as I can tell, is the cold air intake valve. I asked a mechanic, and he said most likely it's a bad motor for the window. Since my last post, I have not heard the steering wheel make any sounds. The only manuals I can find that are close enough for distance not to be a problem all have over 150K miles, which is not worth buying to me since they will most likely require replacement of every technical thing. I am keeping my options open for the time being though