Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Fuse keeps blowing...what do I do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TBC3334 is an unknown quantity at this point
Fuse keeps blowing...what do I do?

I joined this forum in hopes that i would get some good help from people who know Civics. I own a 98 Civic EX and I have an issue where the fuse that controls the horn, cruise control, brake lights and shift lock keeps breaking. When I replace the fuse it will last for one, maybe two cranks and then it ends up breaking/blowing again. I have been trying to research online and find answers but I every thing I read seems to argue with the previous or next post I read. Anyone out there had this issue before and know how to fix it?
Thanks for any help.
TBC
Old 08-03-2012
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Fuse keeps blowing...what do I do?

Well a blown fuse indicates an overload in current. Unfortunatly that means there is probably a short somewhere so you were probly getting conflicting answers with your searching because it could be a lot of things. Any one of those circuits could have the short and it could be anywhere in the circuit. If you have a service manual, and can look at the wiring diagrams then it would help point you in the right direction. Hopefully someone has had this same problem. Does it only blow when you try to start the car? Can you use the horn and do the brake lights turn on with the car off and a good fuse?
Old 08-03-2012
Registered!!

TBC3334 is an unknown quantity at this point

I haven't actually tested it that way but usually when I replace the bad fuse with a good fuse it blows as soon as I crank. At one point I put in a new fuse and put it in backwards and it stayed good for a few weeks and then it blew and since then I have been unable to keep a fuse in tact after cranking. Luckily I also have a 2006 Honda Pilot that is in good condition that I am able to drive but I would like to get the Civic running right again so I can preserve the Pilot and get better mpg during the week while driving to and from work.
Old 08-03-2012
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Fuses don't have polarity so it doesn't matter how it goes in. Maybe try disconnecting your horn, and cruise control and see if blows the fuse. If it doesn't then you atleast know it's one of those 2 things. You can disconnect your brake lights if you want but I wouldn't suggest it . Also put a good fuse in, use the horn and push the brake and see if it blows without cranking the engine.
Old 08-03-2012
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Moved to the correct section.
Old 08-06-2012
Registered!!

asianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the rough

i thought the brake lights have its own fuse but anyway, you can start by yanking out all the bulps from the rear brake light or dc the harness clip if that doesnt blow the fuse then theres your problem, your horn is easily can be dc by taking the bottom cover off the steering wheel either that dc it from inside the front bumper, cruise control you can dc at the unit it self under the hood, do it one by one till the fuse stop popping then work from there