Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Fixing a loose bumper

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brentonstrine is an unknown quantity at this point
Fixing a loose bumper

My 2000 Civic Coup has a loose front bumper. I've tried re-attaching it but the latches are broken on both sides. I attached a picture I found on the net of someone with a similar problem, except on my car they are ripped through even worse, there's not much plastic left there, so using washers or melting the crack together isn't an option.

This seems to be a pretty common problem (same thing happening on my wife's '03 Civic Hybrid) so I was hoping someone had a creative idea to fix this. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	civicfront.jpg
Views:	5497
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	83778  
Old 07-29-2012
Registered!!

project5k is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Fixing a loose bumper

my buddy had the same problem on his car,

What we did was took a couple small strips (2-3) inches,of "plumbers strap" (its pipe hanging stuff in a roll from Home Depot), and pop riveted it across the torn out hole,(on the inside/underside) putting the rivets through the flat areas of plastic in the bumper on either side of the torn hole. (make sure to line up one of the big holes in the strap with the middle of the original torn hole)

Then using screw through the premade hole in the plumbers strap, we were able to reattach the bumper through the original mounting location(under side of fender)

we did both sides and they've lasted 5 years so far.

Just one idea.
Old 07-29-2012
Registered!!

brentonstrine is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Fixing a loose bumper

Originally Posted by project5k
What we did was took a couple small strips (2-3) inches,of "plumbers strap" (its pipe hanging stuff in a roll from Home Depot), and pop riveted it across the torn out hole,(on the inside/underside) putting the rivets through the flat areas of plastic in the bumper on either side of the torn hole.
That is inspired.