Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1998 Civic EX Overheating, New Purchase Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012
Nox
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nox is an unknown quantity at this point
Question 1998 Civic EX Overheating, New Purchase Advice

O.k here's what happened.
I used to own a Hyundai Accent and its Timing Belt went to helland so did the engine, pity because the car is in great shape, anyway now I bought a 1998 Honda Civic EX from a dealer, it cost me 900, and looks o.k but needs some work, I mean who buys a 900 dollar car think it wont need work?
But man i can see why those are coveted, way more fun to drive than the Accent.

Anyways here's what happened, yesterday I noticed that the overflow hose was blowing steam into the reservoir as soon as I stopped the car,of course that was bad news. Now today I checked the cars coolant and its low I mean it sucks it all from the reservoir time i turn it off, still blows steam but sucks it all afterwards. So Ive checked the radiator cap and hell what do you know that's broken, so that might explain why its overheating. But I want some experienced advice, what else should i look for?

Also should i flush the system? I ask because the pressure valve and vacuum valve are off the radiator cap. All thats left is the spring and i can see they are inside the radiator that's why I haven't filled it with coolant yet, god knows what happened. I also want to know if there are other things that could be damaged because of that.
And what I should check for I mean come on, it was a dealer special.

PS: The car needs a new Exhaust manifold (its cracked), does anyone know where I can get one online? Cant go to junk seeing as I need to work on the car before I drive it 1hr to the junk yard.

Thanks id appreciate all feedback.Oh and I'm not car expert but Im not mechanically retarded either, so I can understand almost all the words someone will say.

PS: I only bought the accent because it was 350 bucks, all it needed was a tune up,owner was stupid and it lasted a year, not bad for 600 total (Stickers and stuff like that)
Old 07-16-2012
Lord Sin

Lordsin is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 1998 Civic EX Overheating, New Purchase Advice

Take the spring out and do a radiator flush, replace the cap from autozone for about 12$. And the header you can replace after the radiator. You can drive it with a cracked exhaust manifold to buy one at a junkyard if you don't wanna spend about 200$ for a good exhaust or 300 for headers
Old 07-16-2012
Lord Sin

Lordsin is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 1998 Civic EX Overheating, New Purchase Advice

And nice I wish I could buy another civic for under 1000 $. I have another engine waiting to be tickled