Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Overheating, maybe water pump?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dkdontforget is an unknown quantity at this point
Overheating, maybe water pump?

Alright so 2000 civic DX 182k miles, i bought a new fan temp switch about 2 years ago so that shouldnt be the issue,
I jump the relay and the fan turns on fine, but i noticed that the car will start over heating really fast, within about 15 seconds, fan does not turn on, i jump the fan while its hot, doesnt really cool down, i rev the engine a little bit and it cools down real quick and it stays there for a while, but every time it over heats i rev it will start to cool down some, well thats not working as much any more.

both radiator hoses are about the same temp, (burning hot) but i notied that the radiator overflow is....over flowing alot, but when the car is cold theres none in the overflow,

so relay is about 2 years old,
the thermostat seems fine cus both hoses are about the same temp, fan works fine when i jump it, could it be the water pump or something else?

ok replaced the radiator cap because it was in peices, there is now pressure in the hoses and the overflow isnt overflowing anymore, however the fan still isnt turning on when it needs to

Last edited by dkdontforget; 07-10-2012 at 09:48 PM.
Old 07-11-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Overheating, maybe water pump?

the car will start over heating really fast, within about 15 seconds, fan does not turn on, i jump the fan while its hot, doesnt really cool down, i rev the engine a little bit and it cools down real quick
How empty is the radiator?
Old 07-14-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
COSMOE CRAMER is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Overheating, maybe water pump?

i had a similar problem two years ago. my car overheated and it worped my main cylinder head. does your radiator and/or overflow tank have a rusty looking fluid in it? if not another thing to check is your oil if it looks milky then you have a wored head and need to have it miled. i would get a new fan switch as well i went through 2 in the past 4 years.