Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Car Dies Please Help

Old 07-08-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Civicguy45039 is an unknown quantity at this point
Car Dies Please Help

Hey guys just bought a stock 98 civic dx 5spd with 191k miles. The car dies as I come to a stop in traffic. It does have a check engine light on. I just had complete exhaust put on from the manifold all the way back as well and the o2 sensor in the manifold looks new and is one of those universal ones that they hard wired. But the car did this before exhaust was done. The two codes are p0113 and p0135. And ideas or suggestions? I really hate to have to take this to the stealership. I also pulled the air box and checked the throttle body for built up cabons. It was fine but I cleaned it anyway!! Thanks!!! Also the car starts right up when cold and idles fine. The car always goes down the road fine at all times and doesn't cut out or miss. Thanks!!

Last edited by Civicguy45039; 07-09-2012 at 09:16 AM.
Old 07-08-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car Dies Please Help

P0113 Intake Air Temperature Circuit High Input

P0135 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

looks like you need a new IAT sensor in the airbox and a new primary oxygen sensor (the sensor closest to the engine). be sure to get an oem sensor. most aftermarket will not work properly.
Old 07-09-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
P0113 Intake Air Temperature Circuit High Input

P0135 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

looks like you need a new IAT sensor in the airbox and a new primary oxygen sensor (the sensor closest to the engine). be sure to get an oem sensor. most aftermarket will not work properly.

Will those being bad cause it to die like that? That top o2 sensor looks brand new but it is one of those aftermarket ones that's hard wired in. I don't even know if it's wired correctly as I can't find and schematics showing what colors need to go together!
Old 07-09-2012
Registered!!

And I'm think I might have the air box sensor code due to me un plugging it when I took the air box off to clean out the throttle body
Old 07-09-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

a wrong oxygen sensor can cause some pretty serious problems including stumbling. it tells the ecu how to calculate a/f trims (basically how the engine runs).
Old 07-12-2012
Lord Sin

Lordsin is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you get it done by a Honda specialized mechanic/shop. Or a local one? Most local places are dirty and cheap they sometimes use alcohol and clean dirty and bad O2 sensors to make them look brand new. I recommend going with an OEM direct fit O2 sensor. I had the same thing thinking it was my catalytic converter.