Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

98 Civic window regulator question - crank/manual windows

Old 07-08-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blizz81 is an unknown quantity at this point
98 Civic window regulator question - crank/manual windows

The other day I noticed when cranking up my window that near the top, it seemed like it was taking extra effort to get the last inch rolled up. I rocked it back and forth and the glass popped off track and slid down into the door.

I took the door panels off on both doors. The gear-toothed assembly that's part of the regulator was hanging free and not mated up with the crank assembly at all. I tried fitting it back in there and cranking the handle to see if it would pick up on track - sometimes it will start to raise/lower the window but it won't hold.

I then took out the crank assembly - pictured below - and the spring in there fell out while I was taking it out. Not sure if I have it in right, but I'm wondering - is there something from the gear-toothed part of the regulator that's supposed to pop in where the hole is on the other side of the spring to keep it tensioned to the assembly? It looks like on the gear-toothed deal, there's a star-shaped hole where I'm wondering if there was a clip or something. Can't really see on the "good" window but it does look like something is fastened there, I don't have a long narrow mirror or anything to verify.

Any ideas on how to fix either way? If there is a clip or something there, I have no idea how you get it in / out as that's inside the door at that point, and there's no service holes right around there to work.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink
Old 07-08-2012
Registered!!

Re: 98 Civic window regulator question - crank/manual windows

Looking at replacement regulator assemblies, it does look like they come with the crank-side assembly and there's something attaching where I was looking. Still not sure how you install both pieces (one inside door, one outside of door) and then fasten it there, but I guess I'll order one and play around with it.
Old 07-08-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Just buy a new regulator, yours is broken.
New one should not be in multiple pieces.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...y5=DOOR+WINDOW

Carefully examine the run channel rubber for deforming, and you might take the opportunity to clean the rubber with hot soapy water. Dirt in that rubber strip makes the glass hard to roll up.
A good dose of spray silicone lube into the run channel rubber on a regular basis can help too.

If you really want, that big spring has to be positioned/wound to hold up the weight of the glass when it is all put together.
Once the glass is detached and the 2 gears don't mesh, that spring can snap the regulator to the fully raised position, and attempt to chop all of your digits OFF if you don't keep them pulled out of the way.
Old 07-17-2012
Registered!!

Thanks. Yeah, it was pretty clear once receiving the new regulator how it should all be in one piece. Installation was pretty simple, back in business now.