Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

98 Civic 4 Door Automatic Sudden Power Loss During Cold/Initial Start

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trf1driver is an unknown quantity at this point
98 Civic 4 Door Automatic Sudden Power Loss During Cold/Initial Start

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...5204700AAH3UsO

98 Honda Civic 4 Door Automatic 4 Speed, 160K Miles.

Noticing sudden loss of electrical and engine power when changing gear from Park to Reverse during initial start when car has been sitting for a day or more. I let it idle for longer time than before, around 2 -3 minutes or so but engine and power system would still shut off when I take the car out of Park and put it in either Reverse or Drive. After restart, the car behaves normally and issue do not appear again until next day or two during initial start. Also what is weird to me is that when engine cuts off during initial start, key is at ON position but no instrument lights would display on the dashboard. Therefore I am guessing it could be an electrical problem because if engine stalls and key is in ON position then warning light and other lights would stay lit. If I leave the key in ON position and turn it to START position, nothing would happen. But if I jiggle the key a little then the sequence of lights would appear and I would be able to restart the engine or I can turn the key to OFF/Accessory position and re-do the start sequence.

Has anyone encounter this problem? If yes, what was the fix.
13 hours ago - 3 days left to answer. Report Abuse
Additional Details
Wanted to point out Sony car stereo was stolen in early April. A new Sony stereo was replaced and installed by Geek Squad, while dealer fixed the center dash console which had lots of wires exposed. The car stalled at two stop signs after stereo was stolen while I was driving it to the dealer for repair. I am guessing the thief damaged wiring and caused some electrical problems which dealer & geek squad didn't find out or repair. However I have to say after I got my car back around 2nd week of April, I did not notice any issue until the recent week or two. Thanks again in advance for all the suggestions and ideas.

/************************************************** ******/
Latest note added:
I checked the battery connections, no problem there, secure and tight fit. The fuse box is next on my list to check, mainly the one located in engine bay. I just want to see if anyone experience similar problem and what was their finding and resolution.

Thanks,
David
Old 07-07-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 98 Civic 4 Door Automatic Sudden Power Loss During Cold/Initial Start

during initial start, key is at ON position but no instrument lights would display on the dashboard
This leads me to think ignition switch.
Easy to diag if one knows what they are doing, just need to have it act up somewhat consistently so it can be proven.
Wouldn't be caused by anything other than age and time.
Old 09-09-2018
Registered!!

trf1driver is an unknown quantity at this point

problem fixed; ignition switch replaced, the electrical portion.
Old 09-09-2018
Registered!!

old97civic is an unknown quantity at this point

You waited 6 years to fix it?