Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2000 Civic EX battery not charging, alt tested ok

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
spakhnyuk is an unknown quantity at this point
2000 Civic EX battery not charging, alt tested ok

So my 2000 Civic EX with a D17y7 engine is not charging the battery.

I went to check the alternator and found a rusty and almost broken connection (picture attached) , so I automatically thought that was the problem. I removed that plastic covered connector piece and hooked the wire lead strait to the alt. (the connection between the alt and the wire lead was fixed)

The voltage still read only 11.7 while the car was running, and the car died as soon as I disconnected the battery.

So I though the alt was bad and took it to O Riellys and it checked out fine.
Also took it to a Napa, and they said it was fine.

I checked all my fuses, nothing is blown. What else should I check to get this fixed?
Old 06-18-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2000 Civic EX battery not charging, alt tested ok

are you sure they are reading it right? how many amps is it putting out? sometimes an alt will test "fine" even tho its only producing 30 amp instead of 60 amp. at idle in park, the voltage should be 13.5-14.0v around there.
Old 06-18-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
spakhnyuk is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah it read 60 amps.

im not getting the 14v at idle so I'm thinking its the wiring. but i don't know where to start looking.
Old 06-18-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

could also be something else wrong with the alt. there is much more to it than a power wire to the battery. its computer controled as well as the alt having multiple parts. lots of places for failure. any engine codes?