Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Pictures of my '00 Timing Belt - Replace it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FromUndaChz is an unknown quantity at this point
Pictures of my '00 Timing Belt - Replace it?

I'm replacing my timing belt and just pulled the valve cover off after removing the engine mount bracket and moving the power steering pump out of my way.

It looks to me like the belt is rather new. I bought the car last week from somebody selling it for a friend who didn't speak English. He had TONS of service records but nothing for the timing belt. Most of the work was done by a dealership.

The belt looks new to me, the writing is very easy to read and the crank/cam seals look pristine. The belt also looks great, free of cracks, and the barcode can be scanned it's so clear. All of the serpentine belts and the valve cover gasket where brand new as well, leading me to believe that somebody has been in there fairly recently and probably already did the job.

Hoping somebody can let me know from these pics whether or not I should bother replacing the seals, water pump, and belt - or just leave it and check on it maybe next summer instead. I've not done this before but I'm a regular weekend warrior and did a timing chain on an S10 successfully about two weeks ago so the confidence is there

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-16-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FromUndaChz is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Pictures of my '00 Timing Belt - Replace it?

Screw it, belt is off, had a few VERY minor cracks near the teeth - probably could have gone another year on it but I figure I might as well just do it since I'm in there
Old 06-17-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Pictures of my '00 Timing Belt - Replace it?

^ yes, just keep the belt for emergencies (you never know until it reaches 10k miles)