Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

96 Civic Hatchback shudders and shakes when I step on the gas!

Old 06-02-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
paulcarr is an unknown quantity at this point
96 Civic Hatchback shudders and shakes when I step on the gas!

Recently, my 96 Civic Hatchback has been shaking intensely whenever I shift into first gear and in the past few days it's also been shuddering whenever I step on the gas. When I'm driving in 2nd or 3rd gear I can feel the car "tremble" when I step on the gas but then it disappears when I take my foot off the gas. On the highway when I hit around 50-55 MPH it starts shuddering violently when I step on the gas but stops and coasts smoothly when I let off the gas. It also seems like the car has no pickup no matter what gear I'm in. What could this be? Is it the engine mount? Is it something that needs to be fixed immediately? Is it safe to drive it like this? Thanks!
Old 06-02-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 96 Civic Hatchback shudders and shakes when I step on the gas!

Check engine light is flashing sometimes, I bet.
Start there.
See why the check engine light is on.
Misfire codes.
Fix that first.
HTH
Old 06-03-2012
Registered!!

michael3n is an unknown quantity at this point

If your check engine light is not on, try to get underneath your car to examine the CV axle boots. The CV axles are the long rods that go into the centers of both your front wheels, with two boots per rod. You need to check the boots closest to the center of your car.

If they're torn, your CV axles aren't running smoothly and need to be replaced. They'll be causing the shaking.
Old 06-04-2012
Registered!!

paulcarr is an unknown quantity at this point

My "Check Engine" has been on for almost a year (a totally unrelated issue) but strangely enough when this problem came up the light started blinking off and on. I had the CV boots on both sides replaced within the past two years but I know that I need new ball joints. My car has been squeaking and creaking like an old bed! Could it be related to that?
Old 06-04-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulcarr
My "Check Engine" has been on for almost a year

You can't tell when a NEW problem happens---- because you just ignored this "stupid little light" for the last year.

Guess what happened.
Guess what the flashing means.

(a totally unrelated issue)
A year ago it was unrelated.
Guess what.....

-------------------------------------------

I don't guess for a living.

HTH