Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Electrical Techs - 97 Civic Electric Door Locks Quit Working

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mharnisch is an unknown quantity at this point
Electrical Techs - 97 Civic Electric Door Locks Quit Working

Recently my electric door locks quit working on my 97 Civic LX. They wouldn't work with my aftermarket alarm remote or the door lock switch, but you could lock and unlock manually with the key. First they would work sometimes and not other times. Then they stopped working all together. I did a lot of research on the web and decided that either the driver door lock actuator was bad or there was a problem with the wiring. So I started to check the wiring going to the power lock control module. Right away I found that the black ground wire did not have continuity to ground. So I hooked up a temporary ground to the black wire in the module plug to one of the bolts on the inside of the drivers door. Locks now work. There is probably a break in the ground wire going through the rubber boot from the door to the body, as this sounds like a common problem. I do not want to have to take this boot apart to try to run a new wire as it looks like it would be quite a job. Since there are no other wiring issues at this time, I am wondering if there is any reason why I couldn't just make a new ground connection right on the inside of the drivers door and splice into the black ground wire connected to the lock control module. Seems to me a ground is a ground, so it shouldn't matter where the connection is. Do any of you knowledgeable in electrical see a problem with this?