Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Lower Rear Arm Damage

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OSMIUM is an unknown quantity at this point
Lower Rear Arm Damage

My 99 Civic suffered damage to the left rear wheel.

The lower arm clearly needs to be replaced. I'll put new bolts and bushings also.

The drum looks to be bent in a bit. Is that something that can be dealt with during an alignment?

-OS
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel_on.gif
Views:	63
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	83427   Click image for larger version

Name:	upper_view.gif
Views:	64
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	83428   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear_view.gif
Views:	64
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	83429  
Old 05-28-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Lower Rear Arm Damage

Put the new arm on and see where the wheel/drum/etc., ends up.

Compare the bad side to the good side.
Do this before getting the rear aligned, and fix all that needs fixed before alignment.

Could have bent far more than just the obvious arm. Could be the knuckle, hub, axle stub, or the big arm (trailing link). All I can do is guess from here.

Expect the wheel bearing to be heading south soon. They don't take an impact very well.

HTH
Old 05-28-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Put the new arm on and see where the wheel/drum/etc., ends up.

Compare the bad side to the good side.
Do this before getting the rear aligned, and fix all that needs fixed before alignment.

Could have bent far more than just the obvious arm. Could be the knuckle, hub, axle stub, or the big arm (trailing link). All I can do is guess from here.

Expect the wheel bearing to be heading south soon. They don't take an impact very well.

HTH

Thanks, that's the plan.

I take it that I'll need a spring compressor when I take the arm off?

-Os
Old 05-28-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OSMIUM
Thanks, that's the plan.

I take it that I'll need a spring compressor when I take the arm off?

-Os
The spring is contained within the strut, so no.
Old 05-28-2012
Registered!!

The spring is contained within the strut, so no.
That's good news. Thanks.

BTW , how hard do you think the car hit whatever it hit to bend the arm like that? The driver is claiming they were unaware they hit anything!

-Os
Old 05-28-2012

Some people really ARE that oblivious. Many of them probably shouldn't be on the road.

Some people must think repairs get cheaper if they play stupid, hide evidence, deny knowledge, don't tell the whole story, etc., so I like to bill extra for the time wasted playing detective.

In my almost 30 years of spinning wrenches, I still haven't figured this out about most people.
Old 05-28-2012
Registered!!

Some people really ARE that oblivious. Many of them probably shouldn't be on the road.

Some people must think repairs get cheaper if they play stupid, hide evidence, deny knowledge, don't tell the whole story, etc., so I like to bill extra for the time wasted playing detective.

In my almost 30 years of spinning wrenches, I still haven't figured this out about most people.

Especially kids!

"wasn't like that when I was driving it"
Old 05-28-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

True, a lot of people are that oblivious but, most I think just don't want to admit that they're idiots.