Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

96 honda civic ex idling and starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012
Member - 96 Civic Ex

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sobefreedom is an unknown quantity at this point
Question 96 honda civic ex idling and starting issues

I have a reoccurring issue and I have tried multiple thread suggestions for somewhat related problems, but nothing that really describes what I am seeing. So I will describe it here and ask for any and all help and suggestions.

My car will occasionally idle high (around 2000 rpms) and occasionally not start. Both are related to eat other it seems because I can sometimes go a week with now problems, but then my idle will be high when I start it one day and if I shut the car off and wait and try to start it again it turns over but does not start. I popped the clutch in it this morning when it wouldn%u2019t start and it started with minor hesitation. I have cleaned the IAC Valve and found it to be quite dirty. I have recently replaced the timing belt and water pump, had the valve timing checked/adjusted, and replaced the VTEC pressure switch, and new spark plugs and wires. All were replaced to try and fix the problem and others with exception to the timing belt and water pump I can%u2019t actually remember if I was having these issues prior to that or not. I am inclined to think I was. However, the issues I am having seem to be progressively getting worse and more frequent. Also, where it used to not start once a week, now it doesn%u2019t start 3-4 times a week. I can induce the failure as well by driving it for a while, turning it off and then try to start it again (for instance driving to work and stopping for gas). This happens even if the idle is normal 900-700 rpms. I used my Haynes manual to check the fuel filter and fuel pump and both appear to be functioning and are not plugged.
<O</O
I%u2019d rather not take it to Honda to be diagnosed without having a fair to good idea what may be wrong. I hate it when they replace something only to find out %u201Coops I guess that wasn%u2019t the issue%u201D. Yet you still pay for it all.
<O</O
Any help anyone can provide would be most helpful.