Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2000 Civic EX Suspension issue (?)

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
libralabrat is an unknown quantity at this point
2000 Civic EX Suspension issue (?)

My wife has had a 2000 Civic for about two years now. In the last six months, we began having problems with the car riding very rough, and eating tires like candy.

I replaced the front struts, but now I am having serious rear cupping issues on the tires.

Since my wife drives nearly 70 miles round trip each day for work (we live in rural Oklahoma) I need to get this fixed ASAP.

Of course, it took me a while to convince her that her car had a problem at all. She seems to sincerely think that this vibration she feels when driving is normal..

So, basically, do I have to replace the entire rear suspension, or in the interest of not spending thousands of dollars, where should I begin, in order to figure out the exact cause?
Old 05-06-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2000 Civic EX Suspension issue (?)

So, basically, do I have to replace the entire rear suspension, or in the interest of not spending thousands of dollars, where should I begin, in order to figure out the exact cause?
Your tires probably aren't "cupping", it's more like they are chopping the tread blocks on the inner edges of the tread, or flattening diagonally across the tread face.
I haven't seen true textbook cupping since the 80s.

You replaced front struts, but has the car had a 4-wheel alignment lately?

Biggest question: How often did you rotate the tires?

Too infrequent and irregular tire rotation, coupled with cheaper tires that are prone to the condition by design, leads to this.
Even on a car that has perfect rear suspension.
It's the nature of front wheel drive.
Old 05-07-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: 2000 Civic EX Suspension issue (?)

yup, more likely a toe issue (alignment should be done once a year if possible) and tire rotation. Rough ride is likely the rear shocks needing replacing too.