Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

98 Civic Ex Coupe transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012
Custom User Title

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
torenxw is an unknown quantity at this point
98 Civic Ex Coupe transmission problem

CEL reads p0700 and p0730. Basically, after car warms up, there's no power from a stop. It seems like maybe it's not shifting into first or first has no power, but 2nd through 4th gears all work fine. I'm thinking (also hoping) that the problem is the shift solenoid. Does anybody agree or disagree, have the same problem, any questions, comments, etc.? BTW, I do know what the codes mean, so you don't have to waste your time telling me.
Old 04-26-2012
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the rough
Re: 98 Civic Ex Coupe transmission problem

id check your fluid first. actually id change the fluid. clear the code see if it comes back or if you feel a difference. if it does you will probably need to take it to a transmission shop.

remember NEVER fill an automatic transmission up past the fill mark on the dipstick.
Old 04-26-2012
Custom User Title

I had the fluid checked before the transmission problems started and it looked fine. After the problem started, I had it checked again and it was very dirty. This was only a short time (less than a month) after the first time I had it checked, so whatever's wrong is dirtying my fluid pretty severely. I asked Oilstop to do a flush and they said you can't flush these Civics, then offered only a drain and fill. That seemed to make it worse at first, but it was soon back to where it was before the drain and fill.
Old 04-26-2012
Registered!!

pwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the rough

they say you can drain and fill it multiple times with short drives in between to clean it out. never tried this as i have a manual but might be worth a shot. does it feel like its slipping?

hate to say it but more than likely it is a mechanical problem with the transmission.

taken from HT

Start with draining the ATF through a filter and check for metal debris or excessive clutch material. If it's excessive, he may need a new transmission. If it's not, just replace the ATF.

You'll need to have a shop check the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th clutch pressure. If it's not to spec, you've got some major work to do. If they are to spec, replace the shift solenoid valves A and B, and the A/T clutch pressure control solenoid valves.

Basically, the transmission needs work. This is more than likely a mechanical problem, not an electrical one, and something that isn't going to go away.

guy from that thread had a p0730 and said his car felt sluggish and kind of shook in 1st then fine 2nd-final gear.
Old 04-27-2012
Custom User Title

I took it to a tranny shop today. They said it will be $2700. I'm considering a manny tranny conversion, but I don't know how much that would cost.
Old 04-27-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by torenxw
I took it to a tranny shop today. They said it will be $2700. I'm considering a manny tranny conversion, but I don't know how much that would cost.
manuals generally are cheaper than auto. mainly because there way less complicated. u should be able to find one at a salvage for a few hundred bucks. im not sure what they go for since i have yet needed to replace one...

i know you would need the trans
slave and master cylinder
clutch lines
then obviously the pedal itself with whatever bracket from honda
a new clutch
flywheel + flywheel bolts (ARP)
^ i would go ahead if your interested and do a lightweight flywheel too.
shifter
shift linkages

stuff you might need

axles
transmission mount
manual trans ecu?

overall i think not only is a manual way more fun to drive, it would probably be cheaper than the 2700.
Old 04-28-2012
Custom User Title

I got a quote elsewhere for 800 for a used tranny, including installation and 1400 for a rebuild. I'll probably go with that. I imagine that a conversion would end up costing more than that. It would just be more work than a straight swap with a used.