Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

So I bought a honda

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sh3didntl%k13 is an unknown quantity at this point
So I bought a honda

i bought a 98 civic yesterday,manual trans, it had been sitting for a year and half or so since it had been ran. i put new battery in and attempted to get it started but turning the key i get nothing. all my lights are on but noones home. i turn and the fuel pump doesnt even come on. on start position no lights dimming. no starter engagement. nothing. all fuses are good and all ground wires seem good clean and tight but i cant get a crank to even see if it will run. i jumped the starter straight off the battery and it wont turn. i attempted to pull start but it just chuggs and dies down which i expect from sitting for so long. i need to know what to check, if there is a main relay or breaker for these things that im not checking or what. all help is appreciated, thank you

Last edited by sh3didntl%k13; 04-20-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old 04-20-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: So I bought a honda

Well, I'd start with the most obvious and easiest.
You bought a paperweight. (Wait a sec, my filter wasn't working....sorry.)
*Ahem*

The starter.
A simple test light and a few minutes of checking would lead to a definite answer as to why it won't crank and/or give a direction toward what areas to check next.
Could be battery cables, a bad ground strap, or a bad starter.
Or simple loose wires.
Or something completely different.
Got wiring diagrams? Got a service manual?

We can only guess, sitting in out recliners behind our computers. YOU have to either diagnose, or guess and throw parts randomly.

Once it will crank on its own, then you can move to another area to check as to why it won't run. You never know, it might run by itself.

Or you will discover why it was sitting all that time.

Fuel that is more than a year old isn't good. It may be able to run the engine, maybe not. I'd suggest you get all of the old fuel out of the tank, and get some fresh fuel.

Or you can do what keeps AutoZone in business:
Name:  Partscannonfire2.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  36.6 KB

HTH