Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Smoke/burning oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
qfroth is an unknown quantity at this point
Smoke/burning oil

Hi everyone I have a 2000 Civic DX that has smoke coming from the tail pipe. I have noticed that the car is burning oil, so I proceeded to do a compression test with the results
cylinder 1: 220psi
cylinder 2: 210psi
cylinder 3: 220psi
cylinder 4: 210psi
The smoke comes out when I start the car and when I push on the gas it lets out a pretty big cloud. I am hoping it's not the piston rings, is there any more tests I can do to determine where the oil is burning?
Old 04-18-2012
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Smoke/burning oil

Well, your compression looks good so you can rule out rings/valves. Most likely valve stem seals but I'm not aware of a testing method specifically for stem seals.
Old 04-18-2012
Registered!!

That's what I was hoping to hear, I was just doing research and a lot of people said that if it has smoke when stepping on the gas it wouldn't be the valve stem seals.
Old 04-22-2012
Registered!!

Okay so I did the valve stem seals and it didn't help. Anyone have any ideas or am I looking at bad piston rings even with the compression test results. Also I can see oil on the spark plug for cylinder #2 if that helps.
Old 04-22-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I missed this when it was first posted.
You sound like you need rings, assuming the rest of the engine is ok (PCV, cracks in the head, valve guides, and all that stuff).

A compression test absolutely CANNOT rule out rings.
It checks compression rings, but it can't check the oil control rings.

When you get the pistons out, you should find the oil rings will be stuck, they no longer float freely. Carbon will be built up behind them, deep in the ring grooves, causing the rings to be stuck in the ring grooves.

It's not just simply sticking new rings in, you need to really clean out the grooves and get all traces of carbon out of them. Otherwise, the new rings may soon do the same thing. Soaking in a vat of carb cleaner overnight may do the trick.

JMHO: Then use better quality oil in the future. A lot of oil ring problems can be traced to low quality oil over the lifetime of the engine.

HTH
Old 04-23-2012
Registered!!

Do you think it is worth the time and money to do the rings or am I better off getting a new engine. I called a couple shops to see what they would charge and it seems like most would just swap out the engine.
Old 04-24-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by qfroth
Do you think it is worth the time and money to do the rings or am I better off getting a new engine. I called a couple shops to see what they would charge and it seems like most would just swap out the engine.
You will have to figure out your own estimates and decide for yourself.
Prices vary.
Labor varies.
People vary.
A used engine could have problems just like yours. You know absolutely nothing about the care it received before it hit the junkyard.

I DIY everything I touch, so if it was for myself I would only have the cost of parts to consider. I have no idea what you can do yourself.

HTH