Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

98 LX with issues, three of them

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jeremiahm is an unknown quantity at this point
98 LX with issues, three of them

I have a '98 LX with who knows how many miles on it, the tach wasn't working when I bought it. I got it cheap, and it's been a really good car for over the 100k that I have put on it. I have three problems, listed in order of priority:

1. The car won't start if it sets for a day while raining. It's raining today, and I had to bum a ride to work today. I need a list of parts to swap out, or wires/connections to check pronto. I haven't put plugs or any other ignition parts in the car yet, so I'm planning on starting there. I figure a cap, wires, and plugs would be a good starting point.

2. If I don't get through the lower rpm range, the car can start missing at 2000 rpm's. But, if I quickly go through the gears, the car zooms right past that spot easily without any blips in rpm's or power.

3. The headlights are barely bright enough to see while using the high beams. The dim beams aren't useable. I think it's a ground, somewhere. Also the tach and speedo don't work either, and I've fixed the blown fuse 15 problem. I figure that my gauge cluster is just bad, but maybe it's a ground somewhere else? I haven't blown a fuse since insulating the wire where it rubs the exhaust manifold.

I can afford to put some money in this thing, but I don't want to go over a few hundred. If it's more than that, maybe it's time to find another one.

Thanks for all the help!
Old 03-01-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hawkijustin is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 98 LX with issues, three of them

Check all your grounds and wires to make sure they have a good connection. I just had a starting problem fixed myself because the starter solenoid wire came loose.

Is your battery good? Check that. Sounds like you need new plugs, wires and at least a cap. I have no idea whats going on with your gauge cluster though. Thats something for someone else who knows a little more to answer.