Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2000 Civic EX stalled and won't start. checked for spark, compression and fuel

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
spakhnyuk is an unknown quantity at this point
2000 Civic EX stalled and won't start. checked for spark, compression and fuel

I have a 2000 Civic EX Coupe, with a D16y7 with about 120K (original D16y8 was siezed)

So a couple days ago, on Thursday, I was driving into a parking lot and the engine mount that bolts into the timing belt cover broke, and my engine fell. It never hit the ground (was about 2 inches away).

I parked right away and shut off the engine. Used a jack to lift up the engine, and found that the bolt snapped (it was only on one bolt instead of two)

I went and got a replacement bolt, fixed it, and started the engine.

Everything ran fine, everything was perfect. I started driving and after about 10 min (3-4 miles) my engine stalled. I rolled into a gas station and it won't start every since.

I towed the civic home and can't get it running. The engine cranks, I have spark, I have fuel pressure (recently replaced the fuel pump, and I hear it prime, also spark plugs have fuel on them), I have spark (took a spark plug out, and grounded it, it sparked), I have compression (not the best, but its consistent between cylinders at 110 psi)

I checked all my fuses, and ran an OBDII scanner, no codes or check engine light. At this point I'm clueless and need help.

Any other things I can check?
Help would be apprecieted.

Thanks!
Old 02-25-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2000 Civic EX stalled and won't start. checked for spark, compression and fuel

Your compression number is extremely low.
It could get that low with flooding, so do a wet check too.
Check cam timing.
Check the wiring harness for damage from the engine dropping. The harness that goes from the drivers strut tower to the engine.
Old 02-26-2012
Gangsta Sexy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FordSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2000 Civic EX stalled and won't start. checked for spark, compression and fuel

check your timing. my 2000 LX did this first second time i started it after the wreck. turns out the timing belt slipped.