Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Can't Get the Crank Shaft Pulley Off

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012
Gangsta Sexy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FordSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point
Can't Get the Crank Shaft Pulley Off

Hey guys. Had the timing belt slip on my 2000 Honda Civic LX and am having a really hard time trying to pull the pulley off. Anything i should try to hold the pulley in place so I can pull the bolt out? I tried holding it with a leather belt, and all I managed to do is break the belt.

Also. Am I gonna have to change my valves? The belt slipped about two notches.

Thanks for the help. Ive never really worked on cars. Ive always owned trucks, and my last car was a disaster, so i stayed away from them till now.
Old 02-22-2012
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can't Get the Crank Shaft Pulley Off

You're gonna need a crank pulley holding tool.. looks like this:

You can usually rent them at an autozone, o'reilly, etc. The crank pulley bolt (at least on my 02) is torqued down to 180 ft-lbs..

as for your valves, I don't think 2 teeth would damage the valves, but a compression and/or leakdown test would tell you if your valves aren't seating right.
Old 02-22-2012
Gangsta Sexy

I ran a compression test on it last night, and it had no compression, but I was hoping it just because its out of time.
Old 02-23-2012
Gangsta Sexy

Could I maybe use something like a chain wrench to wrap around the pulley?
Old 02-23-2012
Registered!!

matthew_burnett is an unknown quantity at this point

You could but u run the risk of it slipping and gouging your pulley which could make your belts fail prematurely. Your best bet is to get the holding tool mentioned by xRiCeBoYx earlier. Makes it easier(well kinda). Mine was a pain to get off. They are on there real tight(181 ft. Lbs.)
Old 02-23-2012
Gangsta Sexy

Alright. I might see if I can weld something up that will work, before I go order a tool. I kinda wanna get the car put back together tomorrow, so dont wanna have to wait for a tool that I have to order.
Old 02-23-2012
Registered!!

matthew_burnett is an unknown quantity at this point

If u have an o'riellys or autozone near they will rent u the tool for a deposit that you will get back 100%,. Its a tool that they keep on hand cause it is a great one. I dont think they are too expensive too purchase either. I may be wrong on that one tho. Any decent automotive parts store should have it
Old 02-23-2012
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

An O'Reilly by my house had it for rent, but I figured I'd use it a bunch and asked I i could buy it. Ran me $50 with a lifetime warranty.
Old 02-23-2012
Registered!!

slandksr is an unknown quantity at this point

have you tried blocking a breaker bar and hitting the ignition?
Old 02-23-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

^ No. Don't do that, do it properly. The engine spins the wrong way for that to work.
Old 02-23-2012
Administrator
Administrator

Yea.. that's just a terrible idea.. That would torque the crank bolt on more. Save yourself pain and hardship (and long-term time and money) by doing it right the first time.
Old 02-24-2012
Gangsta Sexy

Putting a wrench against the frame will work, but you have to have a ratchet to make sure it turns the bolt the right way.

I finally did get mine off. I took a chain wrench, and wrapped it around the belt pully for the A/C, and they set it against the frame. And then I used a 3/4" drive Napa breaker bar, and a four foot cheater pipe..and just managed to break my breaker bar. I used a 3/4" electric impact wrench used for semi lug nuts in the end, and it pulled it off afterr hammering on it for a minute.
Old 02-25-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

That's one way to do it.. However I recommend buying the tool instead. No damage from the chain wrench?
Old 02-25-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by FordSlayerN
And then I used a 3/4" drive Napa breaker bar, and a four foot cheater pipe..and just managed to break my breaker bar.
Welcome to the club. I usually break one a year. Buy one with a lifetime warranty next time.
Old 02-25-2012
Gangsta Sexy

It was a Napa brand, so it had a lifetime wattenty