Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Cat conv.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dthelgnd is an unknown quantity at this point
Cat conv.

I am new and looking for some help. I have a 2000 civic ex. Can anything be done to get the check engine light to go off by taking out internal components of catalytic converter?
Old 02-11-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cat conv.

Originally Posted by Dthelgnd
get the check engine light to go off by taking out internal components of catalytic converter?
Absolutely NOT.
Old 02-11-2012
Registered!!

What is this Spark plug Non fouler about?
Old 02-11-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

You got a code? What is it?

A fouler won't pass a visual exam when it comes time for emissions testing.
Old 02-11-2012
Registered!!

What do you mean A fouler won't pass a visual exam when it comes time for emissions testing?
The code I am getting is saying Cat is operating below efficiency.
Old 02-11-2012

What do you mean A fouler won't pass a visual exam when it comes time for emissions testing?
I meant exactly what I said.
It is considered "tampering".

The code I am getting is saying Cat is operating below efficiency.
Easy:
Figure out WHY it is bad.
Fix that.
Then replace the cat. Use factory parts.
Old 02-11-2012
Registered!!

So what you are telling me is that there is no way around the cat?
Old 02-11-2012

Not if you have to make it pass an emissions test.
Old 02-11-2012
Registered!!

More so to keep check engine light off.
Old 02-11-2012

Sure, try the no-fouler trick then.
The environment won't care that there is one more polluter running around.

If you do it, expect a drop in gas mileage too.

/hugs a tree
Old 02-11-2012
Registered!!

I just looking for suggestions If your telling me that I have to stay with the cat to have things working properly. That's all I need to know. Wasn't looking for polluting issues.
Old 02-11-2012

I just looking for suggestions If your telling me that I have to stay with the cat to have things working properly. That's all I need to know. Wasn't looking for polluting issues.
There's only ONE way for it to be proper.

There are plenty of ways to do almost anything wrong. None are guaranteed to actually work as desired.
Like I said, it can and has been done. You can try it and see what happens. If it keeps the idiot light off, then it was dirt cheap.
But don't hold your breath, and don't whine if it doesn't work the way you wanted it to.
Old 02-11-2012
Registered!!

Hey if something isn't going to work I do not want to waste my time. Like I said I was looking for an acceptable way around this issue. If there is only one proper way then that is what I will have to go with.
Old 02-11-2012

Have you checked the price of both options yet?
Old 02-11-2012
Registered!!

Which options? If a non fouler is going to cause other polluting issues, then it is not worth considering.
Old 02-11-2012
Registered!!

yosef22 is an unknown quantity at this point

you can just pull the oxygen sensor out... you wont fail emmission tests because the computer will bypass it...
Old 02-11-2012

Originally Posted by yosef22
you can just pull the oxygen sensor out... you wont fail emmission tests because the computer will bypass it...
That won't keep the light off.

And the majority of emissions testing includes reading the monitors and fault code data. Instant fail.
Old 02-14-2012
Registered!!

hawkijustin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
Sure, try the no-fouler trick then.
The environment won't care that there is one more polluter running around.

If you do it, expect a drop in gas mileage too.

/hugs a tree
what would using the non fouler trick have anything to do with gas mileage? It would just read that the air going from the cat is cleaner than the air going into the cat. Its just tricking the ECU. I thought The 2nd o2 sensor has nothing to do with air/fuel mixture?
Old 02-14-2012

Originally Posted by hawkijustin
what would using the non fouler trick have anything to do with gas mileage? It would just read that the air going from the cat is cleaner than the air going into the cat. Its just tricking the ECU. I thought The 2nd o2 sensor has nothing to do with air/fuel mixture?
Sometimes, but not always.

On some of the cars, the rear sensor is also used for fuel control, more at certain times than others. So it CAN affect mileage. (I can't tell you which cars do, or just how much influence it has, but I know it is done.)

A huge part of PCM strategy is to keep emissions levels down and keep the cat alive.....think of the PCM as "life support" for the cat. The PCM may want to adjust fuel to keep the cat operating in its efficiency range too, and it may choose to use the rear sensor to do that.

Just sayin'.