Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2000 Civic VP Engine swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dstock is an unknown quantity at this point
2000 Civic VP Engine swap questions

So, I am new to the Honda world (mostly a background in German engineering) and need to swap out the engine in my 2000 Civic VP. It has the D16Y7 engine, and I have found a few engines available with low miles on ebay (imported from Japan). My questions is, with these swaps should I be looking for anything in particular? Is the Japanese D16Y7 set up any differently? Will it be a direct swap, or will I have to swap any parts from the old engine, etc...

I am not a stranger to turning a wrench, and will be doing this work myself, but need a heads up on what to look for. Should I plan on replacing anything before the new engine goes in? I was planning on doing plugs, wires, belts, etc. but do I need to do things like the waterpump/thermo?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and if I am in the wrong forum and this would be better suited somewhere else, please let me know! Thanks in advance!

Here is a link to the engine/supplier I am looking at.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-Honda-D1...a18d44a7f#shId

and here is a link to the old thread
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...ml#post4577078
Old 01-28-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2000 Civic VP Engine swap questions

Originally Posted by Dstock
So, I am new to the Honda world (mostly a background in German engineering)
I won't hold that against you.....yet.
I have a lot of contempt for most German automotive engineering. I think they are still fighting the war.
I am not a stranger to turning a wrench, and will be doing this work myself, but need a heads up on what to look for. Should I plan on replacing anything before the new engine goes in? I was planning on doing plugs, wires, belts, etc. but do I need to do things like the waterpump/thermo?
Throw away your 13 and 15mm everything from your toolbox.
Buy 12 and 14mm everything.
Keep all your other tools.

I'd get a local used engine from a reputable junkyard that has a written warranty, that is the exact same as your engine. Swap parts as necessary. Stuff it in and drive it.
Unless you want some other engine. Then you might be looking at wiring harnesses and computers, and fabrication.
I would definitely go with a fresh timing belt and water pump. Probably be easier to do with it on the ground if you can get the crank pulley loose.
Everything else is up to you.
Most shops wouldn't replace anything that wasn't absolutely necessary.
Old 01-29-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Don't forget to replace the TB tensioner too.

JDM swaps are cheap and "low" mileage. They're usually a good choice. I say "low" mileage because 60K miles is a lot less miles than you will probably see on any USDM engines.

Nationwide salvage listings: http://www.car-part.com/
Old 04-30-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JDM-Heart is an unknown quantity at this point

i have a 2000 honda civic "vp" auto transmission, and i need some advice on what to do with it, im not wanting to do a auto-man. swap yeti just wanna start simple so what should i do 1st. I was thinking about just getting some new euro head and tail lights, some lowering springs and some new rims for now, what do yall think, and if anyone is in south carolina let me know so we can link up, and i can be around the jdm scene more often and get some hands on exp. i have alot of book knowledge but not theactual hands on exp. anyhelp will be appriciated thanks!!