Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Engine Hard to Start Hot, overheating

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ckeboss is an unknown quantity at this point
Engine Hard to Start Hot, overheating

Ok, so I have a 97 Civic DX (d16y7) auto. I have had issues with the cooling system for some time. A hose broke on the road, and I replaced it (was near enough to a parts shop). I made sure the coolant reservoir was full, but didn't check the radiator (I know, stupid, now that I know). Long story short, drove the car, got very hot, started to hear the engine make a little noise, turned it off, let it cool down, filled radiator, and I thought I was good to go.

Ever since then, I have had weird over heating issues. Will happen when I am driving on the interstate for a while, then get off and idle, engine will get hot, then cool right back down. Did a lot of research, and replaced the thermostat about 2 weeks ago. I also noticed once my car is hot, turn it off, go in the store, come back out, it is very difficult to start, have to crank, give it a little gas, and then get it up to around 2-3K rpms, then it idles. I also noticed when I shut my engine off, pop the hood, I see bubbles coming out of the overflow tube.

After combining all this research, I am starting to think my head gasket is blown. What is odd is that I don't see white smoke coming out of the exhaust. My radiator fans turn on fine. The engine has a lot of miles on it, 223,000 now. Is my assumption correct? Or could it be something else?

Thanks!
Old 10-16-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: Engine Hard to Start Hot, overheating

White smoke is only a potential symptom of a blown head gasket, it's not guaranteed to happen, especially if it's just beginning to go. The way to be completely sure if it's a blown head gasket is removing the radiator cap and using a gas analyzer to test hydrocarbon levels, they rent the tool at autozone.
Old 10-16-2011
Registered!!

I have found the tool on amazon, but know what autozone calls it. Link perhaps?

EDIT: Found it: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc..._&target=shelf

Last edited by ckeboss; 10-16-2011 at 06:18 PM.
Old 10-17-2011
Registered!!

Ok, so overheating was simply because I air in the system/not enough coolant I believe. The test turned out negative, so there is no hydrocarbons coming out of the radiator. The engine still has issues after I have been driving for about 15-30 min, it has trouble starting, have to give it a little throttle, rough for a few seconds, then smooths out. Any ideas?
Old 09-14-2012
Registered!!

drew19 is an unknown quantity at this point

My daughter is having a heating problem too. Where antifreeze comes out the overflow when it overheats. Any suggestions? Is it the rad. I already changed the thermostat and rad cap.
Old 09-15-2012
Registered!!

rekomstop209 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ckeboss
Ok, so overheating was simply because I air in the system/not enough coolant I believe. The test turned out negative, so there is no hydrocarbons coming out of the radiator. The engine still has issues after I have been driving for about 15-30 min, it has trouble starting, have to give it a little throttle, rough for a few seconds, then smooths out. Any ideas?
So the overheating has completely stopped? Also I'm curious what kind of test you did? If you did the chemical test and it passed, do not trust it. A radiator sniff from a smog station is guaranteed to tell you the exact amount of hydrocarbons getting in the coolant system.

From what you described in your first post, it sounds like you blew your head gasket with the first overheat. But like someone else was saying, it may have not been a bad enough breach for fluid to exchange.

Your rough starts tho have me thinking there is coolant getting into the cylinder because it is very common with head gasket breaches for the car to have a rough idle for a few seconds when you start it as it burns the tiny amount of coolant in the cylinder.

I would get a radiator sniff, they're only like $20. If the head gasket is breached and you continue to drive it, you could cause even more costly damage.