Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Misfire on all cylinders, P1399 code

Old 10-02-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Civictim is an unknown quantity at this point
Misfire on all cylinders, P1399 code

2k civic. At hiway speed, my check engine light starts flashing. Limp it home, put the scanner on it, and it says "multiple misfires, and gives me a P1399 code. I pull plug wires off one by one checking to see if cylinders are firing, and #3 is not. I change the plug and the spark plug wire, with no improvement.

The code reader says multiple misfires, but it's running smooth, just on 3 cylinders.

Could this problem be caused by the distributor, coil, ICM, ECM, or what?

Plug wires are fairly new (20k ago), Bosch platinum plugs at the same time. Plugs look ok, swapped them around to make sure they were all firing and they all were.

I'm operating on a tight budget right now, otherwise I'd take it to a shop to get it checked out, so I'll start with the relatively cheap parts first, as in the distributor cap and rotor.

Can anybody help with suggestions? Thanx!
Old 10-03-2011
Autocross Padawan

Zeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Misfire on all cylinders, P1399 code

I'd bet good money that it's the Bosch plugs. How new are they? If you went to NGK Iridium plugs (the best you can buy for civics and you'll never have to replace them because iridium lasts x1000 longer than copper) the misfire should go away. Platinum plugs always run crappy on civics.
Old 10-04-2011
Registered!!

mrburn42 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yea I have heard that those iridium plugs last about a week(depending). Check your coil power output...

Side note do these d16y8's have a internal coil pack in the distributor?
Old 10-04-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

d16y8 uses a plug and wire system off the distributor. the coil pack ignition (no distributor) started in 2001 for the d17. denso recommends 30k miles for their iridium plugs and i agree. i've easily gone that long without any problem. one of the best plugs you can get for a honda.
Old 10-05-2011
Registered!!

mrburn42 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gearbox
d16y8 uses a plug and wire system off the distributor. the coil pack ignition (no distributor) started in 2001 for the d17. denso recommends 30k miles for their iridium plugs and i agree. i've easily gone that long without any problem. one of the best plugs you can get for a honda.
Not "distributor less" ignition. Internal or external coil?
Old 10-05-2011
Registered!!

TLGriff is an unknown quantity at this point

Wiggle the fuel injector plug on the cylinder that is misfiring and see if it stops. I chased the same problem for months on mine and a loose/worn injector plug turned out to be the cause. Apparently the plugs wear from years of engine vibration and contact becomes intermittent. For a quick fix, fold a tiny piece of brass shim in two and poke it into each socket of the connector. When the connector is plugged back into the injector the shim will fill the gap. I did that on all four injector plugs in my 2000 SI and haven't had any trouble since. You could also replace the plugs if you can find them.

Tom
Old 10-09-2011
Registered!!

tekfoc is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Civictim
2k civic. At hiway speed, my check engine light starts flashing. Limp it home, put the scanner on it, and it says "multiple misfires, and gives me a P1399 code. I pull plug wires off one by one checking to see if cylinders are firing, and #3 is not. I change the plug and the spark plug wire, with no improvement.

The code reader says multiple misfires, but it's running smooth, just on 3 cylinders.

Could this problem be caused by the distributor, coil, ICM, ECM, or what?

Plug wires are fairly new (20k ago), Bosch platinum plugs at the same time. Plugs look OK, swapped them around to make sure they were all firing and they all were.

I'm operating on a tight budget right now, otherwise I'd take it to a shop to get it checked out, so I'll start with the relatively cheap parts first, as in the distributor cap and rotor.

Can anybody help with suggestions? Thanx!
had the same problem !
Remove all fuel injectors and clean all the carbon off the injector nozzles.
be careful not to ruin o rings or pick up extras up in case .
if you find excessive amount of oil sludge on them then its time for new valve stem seals also .
Old 10-10-2011
Autocross Padawan

Zeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mrburn42
Yea I have heard that those iridium plugs last about a week(depending).
.......... huh?

Anyway..if you remove the injectors, or really any part of the car that reveals a gasket or seal its recommended that you replace it. Banjo fittings for injectors are less than a dollar each. Instead of shimming them as Tom mentioned, (though a genius idea), I'd just replace the plugs. They're very inexpensive and can be found at your nearest advanced auto parts/autozone.
Old 06-25-2012
Registered!!

tdr1975 is an unknown quantity at this point

i just had my 2000 dx check engine light pop on i go to autozone and the reader gives me a 1399 code when looking this up i found that its due to incorrect valve lash any imput on this would be greatly appretiated