Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Replaced tie rods and now can't get it aligned!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
altitude_19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Replaced tie rods and now can't get it aligned!

I swapped out the tie rods on my 98 EX yesterday and today took it to the dealership to have it aligned. They claim that it will not take the alignment due to the rod ends already being at their maximum adjustment. Wheels are toed WAY in. They claim it's because the rod ends were installed backwards (left and right reversed) but I'm SURE they are on correct (replaced old ones at identical orientation and compared to service manual photo).
Would reversing tie rods even have this effect?
A fix to this would be shorter tie rod ends...how do I find a set?
Old 10-01-2011
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Replaced tie rods and now can't get it aligned!

Yes some cars have rods that are different lengths so if they were backwards then it could make it so it won't align. If you got the correct rods then you shouldn't need to find shorter ones. Maybe where you got the part from gave you ones for a different year or model.
Old 10-01-2011
Registered!!

The mechanic claims the direction the curve faces affects the overall length of the rod, so reversing them changes how far they actuate the steering. Is this BS?
Old 10-01-2011
Prelude Owner

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Not sure if that is true or not but I don't know why he would lieing to you.
Old 10-01-2011
Prelude Owner

Try to adjust the toe yourself and see of you can get it in further. I don't know why else you wouldn't be able to get them in enough to adjust the toe unless they were the wrong ones or on the wrong side.
Old 10-01-2011
Registered!!

I do remember they were turned in as far as they could go. I still have the old ones. Guess I'll check their lenght against the new ones. God I'll be irritated if the wrong parts are on there...
Old 10-02-2011
Registered!!

Ok, they're the right parts, on the right sides. Even have the "idiot proof" L and R stamped on them. They're turned in as far as they'll go (rods are bottoming out in the tie rod ends). I don't know how I have the means to determine they're on correctly but a HONDA TECHNICIAN does not.
I can't solve this, but I think I'd better find a different mechanic.
Old 10-02-2011
Prelude Owner

Yea another mechanic sounds like a good idea. Evidently the Honda Technicians don't know what they are looking at!!
Old 10-02-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

did you turn the rod itself so as to make the inner ones all the way in?
Old 10-02-2011
Registered!!

Can the inner rods turn out on their own?
Old 10-02-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

inner and outer had reversed threads, so you can rotate them and change length without removing from the car.
so remove outer ones, rotate rod and make them go all the way in, then install outer ones and rotate them all the way in. them tighten the outer/inner to the steering box/struts.
now you can start rotating rods until you get a decent toe.
Old 10-02-2011
Registered!!

Ok, just so I am clear...I thought inner rods just spun freely. Are you saying if I just popped the ball joint, left the outer on the inner (locked in place), and spun it, it would actually screw into the rack?
Old 10-03-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

woops...
i was actually thinking on my older car.
make sure both sides of the tie-rod ends are all the way in - the one to the rod and the other side - if they are not, they will off-set.