Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

98 Civic Randomly misfires and stalls

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JohnFellows is an unknown quantity at this point
98 Civic Randomly misfires and stalls

This has been an issue for about a month now. My car will drive fine for a while then all of a sudden the CEL comes on the revs start going up and down (misfire?) and after a little bit it will stall. After it dies I can start it back up again without a problem and the CEL goes off, although it usually starts misfiring again pretty quickly after that. If I let it sit for about a day it usually runs fine again until it warms up for a while. I have replaced the ignition switch, spark plugs, wires, rotor, and cap but none have helped yet. No mechanics have been able to figure it out yet because they haven't gotten it to stall, but I'm going on a road trip soon and can't have it die out on me. Any help is very appreciated
Old 05-12-2011
Registered!!

Matteo80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 98 Civic Randomly misfires and stalls

Originally Posted by JohnFellows
This has been an issue for about a month now. My car will drive fine for a while then all of a sudden the CEL comes on the revs start going up and down (misfire?) and after a little bit it will stall. After it dies I can start it back up again without a problem and the CEL goes off, although it usually starts misfiring again pretty quickly after that. If I let it sit for about a day it usually runs fine again until it warms up for a while. I have replaced the ignition switch, spark plugs, wires, rotor, and cap but none have helped yet. No mechanics have been able to figure it out yet because they haven't gotten it to stall, but I'm going on a road trip soon and can't have it die out on me. Any help is very appreciated
Buy an OBD2 scanner, you can get them for about 60-70 bucks from sears or walmart. You plug it in to a switch near the left knee on drivers side. When you get a CEL it will tell you the code and you can work from there. Easier than replacing parts and guessing
Old 05-19-2011
Registered!!

ckeboss is an unknown quantity at this point

You can get one off amazon for $30. http://www.amazon.com/Autel-MaxiScan...5865102&sr=8-1
Old 05-20-2011
Registered!!

Gsx455 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds. like an IACV valve gone bad the idle, stalling; try cleaning it. The IACV is on the back of the intake manifold
Good luck
Old 05-20-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Car warms up, car mis-fires- sounds like a bad headgasket. Get that scanner or have the auto parts store scan it for you. Usually it's free. If it just reports a mis-fire I would think it is the headgasket just by the symptoms. Of course, you would need to test for a bad headgasket before replacing it.

Last edited by lazlong; 05-20-2011 at 08:57 AM.