Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2000 honda civic sedan driver door window slowww

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nickrolando is an unknown quantity at this point
2000 honda civic sedan driver door window slowww

Out of the four windows in the car my drivers window is extremely slow. Please let me know what parts I need. I though the window motor but figured if that was bad then it just wouldn't work. Please let me know what to do. Cheaper way possible.
Old 04-07-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of
Re: 2000 honda civic sedan driver door window slowww

Your driver's window is the window that's used the most. The motor is just wearing out. Replace it and you'll be fine.
Old 04-07-2011
Registered!!

Thanks for the quick reply. I noticed when I searched for the window motor. It seems that most come with the regulator as well. I will be doing this installation myself. I changed the door lock actuator in drivers door recently. What's easier to replace? Just the motor or both motor n regulator?
Old 04-07-2011
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

The motor and regulator are the same assembly.
Old 04-07-2011
Registered!!

They aren't the same piece bc u can buy them seperately. I just was trying to get it done easiest way possible. That's why I asked what piece I should change. Motor or regulator? I just went on ebay and searched. They are two different pieces
Old 04-07-2011
Registered!!

My bad, I was just going by this: http://www.hondapartscheap.com/south...t=0&quantity=0

Probably have to take the whole assembly out to take the motor out.

BTW: You can get that Cardone re-man for $10-15 less at: http://www.hondapartscheap.com/south...t=0&quantity=0

Last edited by lazlong; 04-07-2011 at 09:59 PM. Reason: links
Old 04-07-2011
Registered!!

That link has a picture that shows the motor but isn't listed on the product list?
Old 04-07-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

if the motor works, i wouldnt waste money replacing it. yeah it will help, but there is a cheaper solution. roll down the window completely, then spray silicone in the tracks (both sides). next roll the windows up and remove the inner door panel. spray more silicone in the tracks that are inside the door. it will feel like a new car again when youre done and much faster. i usually have to do this every 6 months or so. over time dirt and dust can get in the track and slow the window down alot. the silcone makes it so slippery, the window will roll much faster.
Old 04-07-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
if the motor works, i wouldnt waste money replacing it. yeah it will help, but there is a cheaper solution. roll down the window completely, then spray silicone in the tracks (both sides). next roll the windows up and remove the inner door panel. spray more silicone in the tracks that are inside the door. it will feel like a new car again when youre done and much faster. i usually have to do this every 6 months or so. over time dirt and dust can get in the track and slow the window down alot. the silcone makes it so slippery, the window will roll much faster.
Thanks alot man. Well i'll try that this weekend. One question, you said roll window down and spray silicone in the tracks (both sides)? what tracks can i get to without taking the door panel off?
Old 04-07-2011
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

the tracks are what hold the window and keep it in place when moving. with the window down, you can spray the top half of the tracks above the door panel, but the silicone will not penetrate the glass and go down into the door panel where the tracks continue. thats why you have to roll the window up or down when doing it so the track is empty and can be sprayed. you are basically lubing the channel groove that the window is moving thru.
Old 09-02-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
the tracks are what hold the window and keep it in place when moving. with the window down, you can spray the top half of the tracks above the door panel, but the silicone will not penetrate the glass and go down into the door panel where the tracks continue. thats why you have to roll the window up or down when doing it so the track is empty and can be sprayed. you are basically lubing the channel groove that the window is moving thru.
So I did do this a few months back and it worked a little bit better but now its slower then it ever was. what do you think?
Old 09-02-2011
Premium Member

the silicone only works for about a month or two. i find i have to spray mine every few months if i want fast windows. eventually the regulator and motor will need replacing.
Old 09-02-2011
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by nickrolando
So I did do this a few months back and it worked a little bit better but now its slower then it ever was. what do you think?
Try cleaning the tracks top and bottom really well and make sure the rubber inserts are in the metal channel correctly at bottom (take the door panel off)
Use a water based cleaner (simple green) and an old cloth, wrap it around something so you can get into the channel well to clean complete. Then just leave it clean and try it. Lithium grease will hold dust and dirt. The rubber inserts are quite slick when clean.
Old 09-25-2011
Registered!!

The window is extremely slow, i need to help it up most of the time, because cold weather is coming here in NY, i'm thinking I should replace this asap.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-00...item19c7b5c777

This is the one I need right?

Also how hard is it to change this?
Old 09-25-2011
Registered!!

^^ Pretty easy.

1. Take off the inner door panel
2. Put the window at the correct height so you can stick your socket in the hole to get to the bolts holding the glass to the track (regulator). Remove the bolts and remove the glass. Be sure to hold the glass so it doesn't fall down and break.
3. Dis-connect the motor connector, then remove the bolts holding the regulator/motor assembly in (I think there's like 4)
4. Put everthing back in the reverse order
Old 09-27-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by lazlong
^^ Pretty easy.

1. Take off the inner door panel
2. Put the window at the correct height so you can stick your socket in the hole to get to the bolts holding the glass to the track (regulator). Remove the bolts and remove the glass. Be sure to hold the glass so it doesn't fall down and break.
3. Dis-connect the motor connector, then remove the bolts holding the regulator/motor assembly in (I think there's like 4)
4. Put everthing back in the reverse order
Okay thank you, I'm about to order it today.

This is the direct replacement for my car right?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-00-Civic-Sedan-Front-Door-Power-Window-Regulator-w-Motor-Driver-Side-Left-LH-/110724761463?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories &fits=Year%3A2000|Model%3ACivic&hash=item19c7b5c77 7
Old 09-27-2011
Registered!!

^^ Yeah, that's it.

If you're having trouble, find MelJ and download the service manual from his sig. It'll show ya exactly how to replace the assembly.
Old 10-23-2011
Registered!!

update. all is well all, i replaced it and it works great now!
Old 05-05-2012
Registered!!

Update: Along with other problems with the car that just arose this weekend, i pulled into home depot went to put my drivers side window up and it wouldnt go up, just made noise like the motor was moving. got home took door panel off. the one i bought off ebay from am autoparts i believe the sellers name was and the part where motor and regulator attacted crack so the teeth werent attached to move the window. so i just bought another one today.

Even when I put the brand new one in, it goes faster then my original old one did but unless its raining the window if all the way down goes up a little bit and then gets really slow or sometimes even stuck and i have to press the window button up and pull up on the window a bit to get it going. when i installed the new regulator/motor in october 2011 i also made sure everything was lubed up good and cleaned and lubed up the moldings.

any ideas would be appreciated.

thanks.

oh heres the link to the one i bought in Oct 2011 that broke already and i bought another one from the same seller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/96-00-Civic-...74110446051048
Old 05-05-2012
Premium Member

next time use oem honda regulator. ive never had good luck with aftermarket.
Old 07-19-2012
Registered!!

Shwny01 is an unknown quantity at this point
2004 Honda civic power window goes down slow doesn't come up

Hello. I just wanted to let you know what I have done to fix my problem. So I was ordering drive thru one night and I put my driver side window down, then it wouldn't go back up. I got home and even thought the switch was working it would click, the window would move a bit and then the switch would stop and go off for about 30+ seconds. So that night I stood there and clicked it down then up and while pulling the switch up I pulled the window as well. Got it closed. So I did a lot of research about replacing the regulator and the motor. I was about to order, but then I found on here someone said just go to Pep boys and buy Silicone Spray just to see. That's what I did. i actually bought Liquid wrench white lithium grease "for moving parts" Took my door apart which I learned how to do on here. I greased everything, the metal track that the pulley system works on, the wires, the black window tracks with Q-tips. There was so much dirt and crap on the bottom edge of the window that I cleaned that too. So with the door apart I reattached the switch and it slowly went down and didn't' come back up. After a little while, it was going down fast as if it was a brand new car. The window now goes up with some sluggishness but i'll keep my eye on it. But it works now and it bought me some time. So before you drop 60+ dollars on a motor, just try this.