Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

98 Civic - Speedometer and Odometer Stopped Working

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snib is an unknown quantity at this point
98 Civic - Speedometer and Odometer Stopped Working

Hi,

On my way to the gym this morning my check engine came on but everything else seemed to be running fine. On my way home from the gym, the check engine was still on but now neither my speedometer or odometer are working. The RPM, gas, and temperature gauges are functioning properly. I was already planning on bringing it in on Sunday to get a new B pipe installed so I'll have to have them check out this new situation. Any ideas in the meantime?

Thanks!
Snib
Old 03-25-2011
Registered!!

RemyL31 will become famous soon enough
Re: 98 Civic - Speedometer and Odometer Stopped Working

On my old 98, the speedometer/odometer got intermittent...It seemed to not work for the first few minutes of driving, then start working...very annoying...

I took it out, messed with the connection, but didn't get it back to normal...

(I researched and it seemed that people said the speedo would have to be rebuilt)

end result: I bought the whole cluster off of ebay with the same mileage... around $100 bucks
Old 03-25-2011
Registered!!

98sleepy is an unknown quantity at this point

My 98 sedan wasn't working either, so I switched out the vss(speed sensor) and it started working again. Search on this forum because somebody posted on here how to check to see if the speed sensor is getting the right voltage.
Old 03-28-2011
Registered!!

Firearmor is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a circuit board on the back of your speedometer that you can change out. This allows you to buy any working speedometer cluster from a 94-97 accord or 96-00 civic and just replace the chip on the back of yours. You get to keep your miles and it is ALOT cheaper than a new one. Be sure to check your local junk yards and used parts places for a cluster. They will be the cheapest. A used cluster should run you around $50.
Old 03-29-2011
Registered!!

hb pickup is an unknown quantity at this point

The speedo/odo went intermittant in my 96 and it was the gauge. No CEL though. U can check the VSS for a 5volt pulse by jacking up the front enough to rotate the front wheels. Put a voltmeter on the blu/white wire @ the VSS connector & u should get a 5v pulse as the wheels are turning. If thats ok check for the same signal to the cluster @ the large connector in the center, 11th slot from the left. Also from what i remember, @ the back of the gauge one of the mounting screws is the signal input (another one is 12v power and a 3rd is ground for the gauge & the 4th isn't anything).
Old 03-29-2011
Registered!!

asianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the rough

maybe the sensor crap out
that check engine light probly telling you that its getting no signal from the vss
, i drove a 99 dx manual while the car is at a stop the speed would go up to 30 and the trip still moving
now that i dont want to get into but yeah have it check out at an auto store
they scan it for free