Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

97 Civic DX, bad axle???

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011
97CivicVtec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
strykker118a is an unknown quantity at this point
Question 97 Civic DX, bad axle???

Hey guys I have a 97 civic and all of a sudden my wheel just started going crazy! Nothing clicks when I turn the wheel but when Im driving all I hear is clunk clunk clunk clunk clunk!!! Its not noticable when Im speeding up but as soon as I let go of the gas and It coasts it goes wild. Im gonna check everything out tomorrow but just wanna know if anyone thinks it can possibly be something else???? Ball joint, tie rod, etc.... Thanks
Old 02-28-2011
Car Enthusiasts

Raid3n is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 97 Civic DX, bad axle???

Could be your axle.. I suggest you shouldn't drive your vehicle untill you find what really making that noise, it can get worse!!
Old 02-28-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Definately don't drive it until it's fixed.

Lift the front of the car and wiggle each wheel by hand. Up and down wiggle is bad ball joint, front to rear wiggle is bad tie-rod. Report back if it doesn't wiggle.
Old 03-01-2011
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Newfiedan is a jewel in the roughNewfiedan is a jewel in the roughNewfiedan is a jewel in the rough

if he broke a cv axle man that would make a mess at speed lol. I would dare say that you broke a tie rod end though, a ball joint would not really make that kind of sound except when going over a bump.
Old 03-01-2011
97CivicVtec

I just jacked the car up and wiggled both front tires with my hands on the top and bottom then hands on both sides. Everything is good there. My driveway is a lil rough and I noticed that it made more popping and clunking in my driveway than it did on the road, but it still clunks a lil bit. One day it sounds worse than the day before and then today I drove it a lil bit and its not as bad. Idk. I hope its not an axle. I had an 98 accord that the axle went out but it clicked when I turned the wheel and it didnt clunk.
Old 03-01-2011
97CivicVtec

You guys arent gonna believe this but it was the ****ing lug nuts. The dumbass I got the car off of only had 3 on it and they werent even tight. I could have been killed lol. But I feel better knowing I dont have to dish out money on a car part
Old 03-01-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Lucky... have you checked the other 3 wheels yet?
Old 03-01-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

Holy....wow dude. Glad to hear you found the problem and are safe. Go deck that guy in the face.
Old 03-02-2011
Car Enthusiasts

Raid3n is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by strykker118a
You guys arent gonna believe this but it was the ****ing lug nuts. The dumbass I got the car off of only had 3 on it and they werent even tight. I could have been killed lol. But I feel better knowing I dont have to dish out money on a car part
whoa... thats scary glad you spotted it right away..
Old 11-04-2012
Registered!!

Catriel92 is an unknown quantity at this point

Man I have the same problem, I don't know it does that clunk sound when I put it in neutral as well as when I take of my foot off the gas I don't know it wasn't shanking first now it is u can't hear when I go fast or brake you think it could be the same?? It sounds like something is hitting