Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

97' Civic DX Tail lights not working.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dearamberxo is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation 97' Civic DX Tail lights not working.

I bought my car about six months ago and last night I went to unlock my car and the headlight/taillights didn't blink when I locked/unlocked the car like usual. I turned on my lights and the headlights/F&B blinkers/brake lights work but the tail lights do not. We replaced some back bulbs and it didn't fix it and the guy at Auto Zone said the fuses looked to be fine.
Do I have some terrible wiring problem or could there be an easy fix?
Old 02-07-2011
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Newfiedan is a jewel in the roughNewfiedan is a jewel in the roughNewfiedan is a jewel in the rough
Re: 97' Civic DX Tail lights not working.

There should be a ground wire at the back which may be corroded or loose causing the brake lights to not work. Also just looking at the fuses does not tell you if they are blown, check them with a test light that is the only way to tell for sure, that will narrow down the problem, get one they are simple to use and can save you a headache. As an added note do you have a remote start or alarm installed?
Old 02-09-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dearamberxo is an unknown quantity at this point

Well the guy at Auto Zone put in new fuses and it didn't fix anything. There's an alarm installed but the wires are cut because the battery in my remote died so the alarm wouldn't shut off. The guy at a car shop had to cut it until we found a battery. Also, I said the brake lights DO work, the TAIL LIGHTS DO NOT.
Old 02-09-2011
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Newfiedan is a jewel in the roughNewfiedan is a jewel in the roughNewfiedan is a jewel in the rough

well then get a TEST light and Go back there and see if its getting power there, if not then you are going to need to trace wires and find out where the problem is.